Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 8, 2004, 3:55 PM   #1
djb

I lost track of a heron as it flew out of view as i was sitting in my truck and decided to see if it landed in the marsh. Well, it didn't but i got this picture at about 100 meters using the raynox dcr-2020 add on.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2004, 12:47 AM   #2

Wow, excellent capture from that distance. Extremely difficult to get anything worthwhile from that distance and in that circumstance, but you have captured it and wonderfully met the challenge!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 1:06 AM   #3

And I always look at those ears and am just amazed. Made for a single purpose and they work well... but look kinda silly. :-)

Well done for such a long shot.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 2:49 PM   #4
djb

Thanx guys!!! as for the distance, i went back to the spot with my dad. he is farsighted and my eyes are bad for distance and closeup. i asked my dad and he said it was at least 100 meters. i wished these digital cameras would show an approximate range of distance. anyway, when i went there this morning looking for herons, as usual, 2 herons flew out of the same spot and went in different dircetions. there was no time for a picture and they were also too far. my dad was wondering if they were mating?? is it mating season for them or is mating season in early spring as i suspect?

dennis

Eric S., those ears are quite a trip!!! i thought they were bigger than what they are. i think they are really neat. we'll nickname her "Yoda".
Old Jul 9, 2004, 3:02 PM   #5

Dennis, do you happen to know what type of heron it is that you were finding at that marsh? It makes a difference because some herons nest close to water and others well away from water in treetops.

My experience in the past with Yellow-Crowned Night Herons and Great Blue Herons is that they nest in colonies, higher up in trees, and most often away from water. I observed them nesting and raising young during middle spring which would probably be the most common time.I think that now would probably be a bit late, but perhaps not depending on what species of heron you saw, local conditions, and the individuals themselves.

Geoff
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 3:22 PM   #6
djb

Geoff, they are great blues. there is a rookerie with 4 nests in the trees too far back for me to get a picture. i have seen only one green heron but that was in a pond behind my church on cape cod. i wouldn't know a night heron or other varieties other than not looking like a great blue and i think the others are smaller.

dennis
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:14 PM   #7

They are smaller, you are right.

Green herons (in my limited experience) nest near water, with shockingly small nests built just like many other birds (in the crook of a Y in a branch.) I've seen one once and I wouldn't have though it would have been useful as a nest. I know where another is (haven't see it yet) and it's right over the water, just like the other one.

The babies usually hop around in that tree before they can fly. Moving around, hiding. That kinda thing. They parents seem to fly away and distract you from the location.

Good luck getting the Great blues, they are wonderful birds.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote