Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 9, 2004, 8:45 AM   #11

"Bodies may come and go, but lenses are here to stay"?

very good point....they will ALWAYS be coming out with better bodies, and will probably come out with better lenses too, but it's smarter to invest in lenses, because they will last as long as you need them and take care of them (like avoiding dropping them )...

how long after the 1ds did the 1d mark II come out?

and for me....the G3 came out like two months after i bought my G2.....actually...when i bought my G2, they weren't making it anymore!

well...that's my two cents (do i get any more cents for being a mod? and an absolute posting freak?)

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 9:10 AM   #12

Very nice Geoffs. What a difference being 20 yards closer makes.

Very nice colors.

Gotta weigh in on your equipment issue if you don't mind.

What is your number one frustration right now that you have relayed over this forum.

Seems that from what I have read it is your inability to get close enough for good shots.

The lenses/equipment you have been talking about here will not remedy that frustration.

You will need 500 or 600mm of zoom to get as close as you want to take the kind of pictures of close birds like the ones you have posted here. I have been looking at the prices of such lenses, just out of curiosity, they cost some serious change.

Just my thoughts. If you got the fz10 and a panasonic teleconverter(seems to be the best one) you would still be under $1000. and you would have 630mm of optical zoom. All in a package that is easily portable. With my current setup with the fz1 and the 1.9x teleconverter I have 798mm of optical zoom. Granted the SLR with the big lenses is going to give you better quality shots but is it worth the cost for you. Only you can decide that. Decisions, decisions, hmmmmmmmmm.........................
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 9:12 AM   #13

the quality of the shots will be MUCH greater with the SLR....and he'll be able to shoot with the viewfinder without having to worry about parallax

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 9:48 AM   #14

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
and for me....the G3 came out like two months after i bought my G2.....actually...when i bought my G2, they weren't making it anymore!
Yep, I bought a G2 also only to see the G3 get rolled out soon afterwards. And then it wasn't long before the G5 came along. Just like computer technology- gee, it is computer technology...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:02 AM   #15

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Very nice Geoffs. What a difference being 20 yards closer makes.
As my result shows - thank you. If I can't get myself to the bird, the only solution was to get the bird to me. If I setup some feeders in my backyard, close to a window, I can probably get a similar advantage.

Quote:
What is your number one frustration right now that you have relayed over this forum. Seems that from what I have read it is your inability to get close enough for good shots. The lenses/equipment you have been talking about here will not remedy that frustration.
You're adding to my stress level zoomn! :-)

I guess what I am thinking is that if I get the FZ1/FZ10, which really is a decent solution, I'd either end up with the equivalent of two P&S cameras, the FZ1/FZ10 and my c-8080wz, or just the FZ1/FZ10 if I were to sell my c-8080wz. I still wouldn't have the camera that would give me the faster and surer AF, the better noise at higher ISO levels, and interchangeable lens capability (I like to do panos, macros, landscapes, wildlife, astrophotography).

OTOH, if I retain my c-8080wz as my "portable" camera for non-wildlife uses and get the DSLR with lenses as my "quality" setup for wildlife and other uses when I don't mind the extra hassle, I'm a few steps closer to where I want to get in the future. At least that's what I'm trying to convince myself.

I'm starting to think that I'm taking up too much bandwidth in these threads with discussion about my personal circumstances and I'm feeling guilty about that. It's probably time that I just shut up and arrive at my own decision in the next 2-4 weeks and just "do it", whatever the "it" ends up being.

Thanks for everyone's advice as I really appreciate the time people have put into thinking about "my" choices.

Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:57 PM   #16

The bottom line is what you have in the area of "cash flow" to play with without causing problems in any other area, and that needs to be a real consideration.

The FZ10 will give you what you want in the area of outdoor photography, and only a photographyphile would be able to tell the difference between shots, primarily because the average person doesn't look at the up-close dynamics of photography. In other words, what you choose will primarily be what "you alone" consider to be the priority.

If you can afford it without causing problems, definitely purchase the DSLR with the good lenses.

If you "can't" afford this without causing stress of problems, then reject the DSLR and stick with plan B, the FZ10, which will give you a very strong touch of what you want as well as not making waves anywhere else.

And I do not type the above words lightly. I believe that you need to consider them very very deeply before making any decisions. Don't jump further than you know you can without injury!

And PS - to heck with bandwidths. Look at what you've done with what you now have. I see no reason for you to "need" anything more than you already have, since you have taken the above photos with your present resources. A pro photog once wrote, and I agree (and paraphrase), if an idiot has the best equipment and a talent has the worst, the worst equipment will produce the best.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:17 PM   #17

Norm, thanks for all the encouraging input and sage advice.

I've made my "personal" decision to buy the DSLR and lenses. Unfortunately, my personal decision doesn't hold up in a partner (wife and I) situation unless I get the go-ahead from her first. If she doesn't feel good about it (and she might not because we've got some heavy expenditures this year - son's marriage, trip to Israel in October), then plan B, the FZ10, becomes more of a reality. The DSLR would follow a year or so later.

An interesting note about the FZ10 is that if that is the direction I end up in a month or so I am very interested in seeing what all the scuttlebutt about a possible FZ10 successor being announced on the 20th this month. This is talked about in this thread in the Panasonic area here. One of the things that I'd like is the FZ10 but with a 6mp sensor. Sometimes you can print large format prints with only a 4mp source image (I just did a 13"x19" print from a 4mp Canon G2 image I had on my i9900 and it was gorgeous), but 6mp makes such large format printing much more real. The c-8080wz is 8mp and it's nice to have and I do not see the problems with noise that others complain about with the smaller high-density sensors (I shoot mostly at ISO 50 anyways which might explain that).
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:31 PM   #18

geoff, I responded to your private message and thanks for making things a bit more specific on this post. I think that sharing and working out a compromise with your wife is an absolute necessity in this. I'm also quite sure that Yisrael is a priority. All of this is easy stuff. A camera is a "want" and the rest is "life".

Personally, I'd say talk with the second half and work it out together. Whatever "both" of you decide will be the best thing overall.

Believe me, I know what you're going through and it's tough to focus sometimes. One thing is certain, you don't need anything more than what you already have to create spectacular images!

Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:43 PM   #19

Norm, you are very good at presenting things in such a comforting manner. Had you considered opening up a counseling practice? :-)

The thing is that for the trip to Israel I am going to be in areas where there will be great opportunities for pictures of birds I probably will never get to see again. It would be great if I could have the gear that enables me to get close enough to get meaningful shots of them. The dslr with appropriate lens will do it but might be too heavy for the trip. The FZ10 might be an ideal compromise. Another factor to weigh.

I can take nice pictures with the c-8080wz but it is a frustrating camera because I still haven't been able to completely figure out the factors involved with making it autofocus correctly in all situations. The manual focus on it is for the birds (hahaha).
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:24 AM   #20

Thanks geoff, my neice is a psychiatrist, that's enough for one family.

Thanks for letting me mistakenly critique your photo. I was the one who was complaining about such things and then I go and do exactly what I was complaining about...go figure.

Thanks for understanding my impulsivity.

Good grief, that was 3 thanks in one post. Shame on me.