Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:01 AM   #11

The "style" of one that I pointed to comes in various sizes, so I bet they make them in the 1-2" range. I just posted it because it's the first one that I saw that was silver/black. I bet with some more hunting you could find the size you want. They fold up shockingly small. The one we used... maybe 48" folded up to about 20". So it easily fit in a backback.

The problem is finding the publication, after that they should list submission guidelines so you're off and running. Maybe it is more common than I think, it's still a great shot!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:04 AM   #12

I am happy with these photos but they aren't perfect. It bothers me that I couldn't get the pictures a tad sharper as I really wanted the spiders legs to be much better defined than they turned out. I have no idea what my DOF for super macro mode at about 1.5" from target would be, but it couldn't be great.

I'll try and find the reflectors you are talking about Norm but they sound like they are still too big to be easily held by one hand while my other hand is controlling remote for the camera, but maybe not.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:06 AM   #13

wow.....that's unbelieveable geoffs! great shots!

i think thelast is the best, cuz the angle shows wat's going on the best...

they could probably use a little PS work to add a bit of contrast...they all are sharp to begin with, so that helps.....

nice work...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:09 AM   #14

Thanks, vito! These already have some PS work (and you thought these were straight from the camera?) :-) I tried to get more out of it in PSE2 but I don't think I'm good enough at it yet to get the best result.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:12 AM   #15

you know wat...adding contrast might not be smart...it'll brighten the whites, and darken the darks......which won't work too well...i'm not sure it needs anything, now that i really look for stuff to do, maybe a run through neat image?

Vito
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:15 AM   #16

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
maybe a run through neat image?
Interesting that you mentioned that. I was wondering when someone would notice that one or two of the images had some noise in it. The reason is that I didn't realize that my camera was set for ISO 200 - a setting that had been retained in Av mode from my previous session with the camera. Once I realized this, I reset back down to ISO 50 and took some more shots!
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:16 AM   #17

Exactly, Vito, a confirmation that this is a very difficult subject

If you blow something up, then you blow something out, no matter what you do, you lose
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:18 AM   #18

hm....another thing that makes the last photo the one...

vito

(wow....posting rampage by geoffs, norm, and vito, well...vito's always on a posting rampage....but he isn't alone tonight!)

Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:19 AM   #19

The answer isn't ISO setting, it's a situation where you need either flash or those direction of light things. It's light. Period. You have created one of the most difficult situations here

Where you have dynamic light and dynamic shadow
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:20 AM   #20

This setting demands a professional decision on exposure. It isn't a simple thing here.

I'm quite pleased that I don't need to solve it, because I'm an amateur. I look forward to the expert opinions.