Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:36 AM   #11

Norm, on these pictures, if you try to reduce the exposure on the center of the bird wouldn't you end up losing any detail that may be showing up in the darker areas of the bird?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:44 AM   #12

Yes, if you didn't know how to use the image processing. You can only do what you know, If you have a point and shoot, and know nothing, then point and shoot and you will probably get something worthwhile (thanks to the techies). If you know what you are doing with image processing, then you can do "anything" you wish, it isn't a matter of what, it's a matter of how much time you are willing to commit. I promise you that I can do "anything" with any photograph, to the point of puttng your head on any animal and nobody would know the difference unless they knew you. I do that stuff with my school, where I've put the head of my boss on John Candy in a poster for Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. We processers can do anything we want with a photograph. Yes, dangerous, but also cool. Same thing goes with quality control.

I'm sure you know this stuff, but maybe you don't know how fast it can be done.

Give me a photo of you

And an animal

and I'll show you how fast I can turn you into that animal

post both in channel, let me know that you have done it, and give me 5 minutes

All I need is 2 photos, one of yourself, and one of the animal

and 5 minutes from the time you post...of course, depending on my telephone modem

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:55 AM   #13

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Give me a photo of you

And an animal

and I'll show you how fast I can turn you into that animal

post both in channel, let me know that you have done it, and give me 5 minutes
Hehe - hey vito, Norm doesn't know that I suffer from CRP syndrome!!!! :-)

Try this - here's a photo of a very young me posted here. Not a very good source image to work with but you have to remember that I suffer from CRP.

Then, use this photo for the animal shot.

Can it be done?

Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:05 AM   #14

geoff, apparently you misunderstood me

I was looking for a photo of the person

I was looking for a photo of the animal

Then I was going to combine the two "in fun" to see what would happen

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:15 AM   #15

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
geoff, apparently you misunderstood me

I was looking for a photo of the person

I was looking for a photo of the animal
Hmmm, I thought that that was what I provided you. My message contained the links to the photos. Ok, here they are so you don't have to go back to the previous message and see what I mean...

Here's a bad picture of me as a youngster - I know the quality is bad but that'll make it more of a challenge... :-)

Here's the animal to put my head on:

I think that this will be tough - but go for it...

Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:27 AM   #16

<<<<<I promise you that I can do "anything" with any photograph>>>>>>>>>

Norm, I know that alot can be done with a photo, Ive seen my husband morph images together etc. But as for making a standard fuzzy badly composed shot a great photo, well I cant see it myself. I think a bad photo can be improved but never turned into a masterpiece:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:37 AM   #17

eric s wrote:
Quote:
So if you take a picture of a egret (pure white) it will darken that shot (try to make the white grey.) So to correct for that you have to lighten the shot (lower shutter speed or increase aperture.) If you take a picture of a black bird it will shift it towards grey and lighten the shot. So to correct for that you have to darken the shot (more shutter or less aperture.)
Eric,

I am confused a bit so maybe you can help. I understand that in case of white birds, one has to under-expose and in case of black birds, one has to over-expose. Now to under-expose white birds like egrets, I just use -ve EV on my 10D (using eval metering mode). From what I understand same can be done by using a faster shutter speed or a smaller aperture, so I get less light. Seems I have it wrong from what you are saying.

If I had spot mode, I would have just exposed for the high lights and things would have been OK (I think).

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:41 AM   #18

Aladyforty,

Are you using RAW mode on your rebel. From what I see RAW helps in these cases. You can use the EV compensation during your RAW processing to get the right exposure. I think PS can help but I don't know much about that.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:02 PM   #19

One thing that helps me with an all black bird is to increase the saturation. This helps bring out the irridencence in the black color ( which blackbirds and grackles have a lot ).
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 5:47 PM   #20

bobbyz is right, if you are using RAW, you get a little bit more exposure lattitude to play with. This can let you convert the file twice, once for the darker parts and once for the lighter parts. Then copy one into a layer in the other picture. merge them as you choose (erasing the parts of the top layer you don't want so they show up from the layer below that you do want.)

Normcar, if you're refering to the first picture... ya, it's probably a touch over exposed. It seems a little too white, when it should be a more blue'ish glow/irridecentness (I invented a word!) The 3rd picture is better in this area, but the sheen is also less prominant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz
I am confused a bit so maybe you can help. I understand that in case of white birds, one has to under-expose and in case of black birds, one has to over-expose. Now to under-expose white birds like egrets, I just use -ve EV on my 10D (using eval metering mode). From what I understand same can be done by using a faster shutter speed or a smaller aperture, so I get less light. Seems I have it wrong from what you are saying.

If I had spot mode, I would have just exposed for the high lights and things would have been OK (I think).
What you said is mostly correct. The picture of the egret will be darkened by the camera because it will want to make that white grey... so you have to lighten the picture to correct for that. You can lighten the camera by a faster shutter or a smaller aperture. Now, depending on what mode you are in (probably Av or Tv) exposure comp will either adjust the shutter (Av) or the aperture (Tv) (but either will solve the problem.)

You will still have the same problem no matter what mode you are in, though. The spot meter will just have the problem more consistantly. If you spot meter off the crow, it will try to make the black grey and you'll have to correct with Exposure Comp to exposure for the hilights. But I do agree, if you expose for the highlights you'll be all set (it's just getting to that point that can be tricky.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote