Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:05 AM   #11

I hope you are right, but I'm not quick to accept your examination.

I'm one of those people, and I know you are too, who first need to experience and hold the tool before saying yes or no. I hope my opinion of the Mark II will be excellent. One advantage that I think I have is that I know how to use a camera in full manual, so I think that will help.The quality of high ISO and burst mode on this camera is what calls me to it. If I blew it, I'll know when I get the cam. I'm looking to use my 50-500 at 1600 ISO and getting spectacular results. If I'm dreaming, I'll understand that when I get the camera and try.

The Mark II bursts at 8 plus frames per second and has a buffer that allows 40 photos. Yes, it will get the swallows, and if you need more shutter or light, go to 3200 ISO, which gives a decent picture, as I've already shown in a past post
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 6:02 PM   #12

Since there is no better catagory, I support posting tiger pictures in a zoo here. But I wouldn't call them wildlife either. But they are closer to wildlife than a domesticated cat.

And I completely agree. Just as a good house cat picture isn't "easy", a good zoo cat picture isn't either.

Normcar, while I don't own a Mark II and I didn't use one for very long (10-15 minutes) it clearly did things in that short time that my camera could not do.

I will be surprised if you can spectacular results at 1600 ISO (but I admit I haven't see pictures at that ISO) but you will get very good results at 640 ISO. And to me the 10D gets "very good" results noise wise only at 200ISO (and "good" at 400 ISO.) But "spectacular", "good" & "very good" are subjective terms.

I don't think any camera can get swallows in flight. It does have focus tracking (where it "locks" on to something and tries to keep it in focus), in fact most DSLRs now have that, including the 10D and I think the DRebel. It won't be able to track a swallow (I think) mostly because the focus tracking can't track something that fast (and that is that small.) I don't know from experience, but I will be surprised if it could do it.

But what it can do is catch a warbler jumping around from branch to branch in low light. My camera goes "let me AF here... no adjust some more... how about here" and the bird is gone while I have a nicely focused branch. The 1D Mark II will say "it is out of focus this way, go here... wham." and it's in focus. And you will probably get the warbler, while I won't.

But we've kinda hijacked what is otherwise a nice cat photo thread.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 5:11 PM   #13

I am a Newbie, sorry for posting my picture in the wrong catagory. Learnt a lot from you guys' discussion. I had couple cats inside my house, and it is hard to have a good capture. I think digital photography help me a lot to capture the monent. I can keep trying until I am satisfied.

This is my next one
Attached Images

MP4-19B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:23 PM   #14

That is a great one. We've got a furry 2 year old running around our house. I don't think it ever would have sit still for that shot.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 12:47 PM   #15

Very cute photo!

Wildlife eh? let us look at the definition-

Wildlife n - Wild animals and birds: wild animals, birds, and other living things, sometimes including vegatation, living in a natural undomesticatad state

Well... do cats fit the description?

Wild animals and birds- cats are animals, and the are pretty crazy at times. i guess it would depend on your cat's personality.

wild animals, birds, and other living things, sometimes including vegatation, living in a natural undomesticatad state-I would say the descripition fits- up to the part "natural undomesticatad state" are cats undomesticated?

UNDOMESTICATED- 1. not living with humans: not tamed and accustomed to living with or near people

2. not accustomed to household life: unaccustomed or unsuited to living in a household with other people, keeping order, and carrying out ordinary domestic tasks (humorous)

I would have to say cats are domesticated... becauase they sure are used to living with humans they "own"! :idea:
kittysnwshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:12 AM   #16

Great photo above. You have a way of capturing the personality of your cats. I love the way you kept the other frisky one on the right in your photograph. Thatone looks like it'son a kat nip rush.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:37 AM   #17

Great shots! I especially like the second one!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:56 AM   #18

I have a question... how do you post your pictures? even my 2-megapix shots are more than 250400 bytes. HELP!
kittysnwshoe is offline   Reply With Quote