Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 11, 2004, 5:45 PM   #1

Ok so I got to the pond in the dark. The stilts still went nuts and the heron was on the water so he spooked. I sat and let everything settle and the heron came back after an hour.

I think this one is not a full grown adult because a huge one came along and divebombed this one and and they both took off and didn't come back. All these pictures were taken from 50-60 yards away. I was was very pleased to get any shots, plus the added bonus of him catching that big bass was.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2004, 6:29 PM   #2

So you finally caught him. Nice shots. Are you using tcon-17 with your fz1?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 6:43 PM   #3

oh cool! wat do you mean not too close?!

GREAT action!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 7:12 PM   #4

Thanks for taking a look. I was pretty excited when he came back and landed again. I have been after him for awhile as I chronicled here last week.

Bobbyz I am using a c-210.

photosbyvito it is pretty amazing how close 700+mm of zoom will get you. Of course with my equipment they are not the clearest but I am happy with the shots.

I had a picture of a stilt trying to steal the fish when the heron flipped it into its mouth but it all came out a blur, bummer. I don't know what he would have done with it if he had grabbed it that was a pretty big bass.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 8:29 PM   #5

Zoomn, you caught some really great moments with that heron! I bet you feel it was worth it to get there real early (I guess I am assuming that when you say you got there in the dark, you meant before sunrise?) - I surely would have. You've got to be really patient to get moments like these with herons as they are really, really deliberate and slow about their fishing and I've sat looking at them for 15-20 minutes and detected almost no motion at all from them!

I just found a spot not a few miles from my house last night where there are 2 resident Great Blue Herons. It looks like it will be easy for me to get real close to them, perhaps as close as 10-20 yards away. So, I hope I can get pics like these in the coming months...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:43 PM   #6

Hey, zoomn, I just saw your thread over at dpreview.com forums with these pictures in it. You got a lot of admiring replies from people over there - well deserved in my opinion as you work really hard to get photos of this quality.

You mentioned on that thread that you were well into the digital zoom range for these photos because you were so far away. Do you find that using digital zoom in your camera is implemented any differently (ie: better) from cropping and resizing within an image editing program? With my camera I've turned off digital zoom completely figuring it was basically just pixel replication anyway and wouldn't help anything.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:53 PM   #7

zoomn, I'm impressed, excellent work! Wow, did you catch a moment. I'd say that's the reward for direction and motivation, gorgeous photographs. Did you use a burst for that "feeding" sequence, or was it snap, snap, snap?

Thanks

PS - How do those animals swallow a whole fish like that? Amazing!

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:02 AM   #8

Normcar, if you're asking "how they digest them?" I don't know. If you're asking how they get them down... very flexable necks. One of the more fun sites in the birding world is when the heron tosses the fish up in the air to change the direction its facing. The older ones do it with such skill it's amazing. As a side laugh, I watched a first year heron try to eat a fish but it hadn't learned the toss yet. It kept trying to shift it around but couldn't so it eventually just put it on the ground and picked it up turned. I almost felt bad for it.

Zoomm, you are right, this is a younger heron. The best way to tell that I know (this is from experience not a book, so I could be wrong) is by the "pony tail" they have. The young ones don't have one and the older ones have longer ones. I don't know if this is only true in mating season, but I've always seen the ones with longer ones be pushy to the ones with shorter ones.

As to the pictures, well done! I always love it when I can catch them with a catch. And I always like the reflections of the water cast back on it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:56 AM   #9

eric, thanks so much for that nature tidbit.

It has inspired me, and I don't know if you are going to like what it inspired me to do, but I'm not going to stop

INSPIRATION - Eric gets a photo of a heron eating a fish!

and he needs to use the 600mm

I give you 2 weeks

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:58 AM   #10

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
INSPIRATION - Eric gets a photo of a heron eating a fish!

and he needs to use the 600mm
I bet that Eric already has such photos but probably not with the 600mm - it's too new.

And I'm guessing that you intend to post a picture of said subject using your 50-500 Bigma?