Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:14 AM   #1

I Wentdown to nearby swap area today to try and get some bird shots. No luck with those birds in trees but these common wild ducks caught my eye. The photos taken in water (which runs along both sides of the walkway through the swamp land) were manual ISO 400 F5.6.

Those on land were taken on sports mode with the Drebel. I used sports mode because Ive seen these guys cross the path fast before although today they seemed to be interested in me and what I was doing. These were all shot hand held as Im lazy where my tripod is concerned and as rain was imminent I chose to just hang the camera around my neck and walk through the area fairly quickly.

Here he has just been spotted, he knows Ive seen him.

These next shots, I had the 300mm lens zoomed full as he went past quickly, all the time he was keeping an eye on me but did not seem concerned as I stood in one place and just followed him with the camera.

Ok, I think hes had enough of me and he is crossing to the other side and maybe I will go away:-)

Ok, hes made it to the other side and has gained a mate, they swam off fast into the trees in the swamp. Im glad i got this final one in focus.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:06 AM   #2

This is a great little story that you've documented in pictures, Julie. It holds a lot of interest for the viewer, especially with your little commentary. Pictures 2,3,4 are probably the most enlargeable and printable of the bunch but I like them all.

You call this a common duck but do you know what the real name is of this duck? It's bill appears to be blue (from pictures 2,3,4) which makes it a bit similar to a duck in the US called a ruddy duck. But the other features of your duck are different from a ruddy's.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:22 AM   #3

It could be a mallard duck but Im not sure:roll:
Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:27 AM   #4

It doesn't look like a North American mallard, that's for sure! And was the appearance of the bill being blue in some of those photos correct, or just a circumstance caused by the lighting?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 5:56 PM   #5

Their bills are dark navy blue to black, some have brown bills as well.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 6:31 PM   #6

the 2nd and 3rd are very nice...

gj

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote