Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:08 PM   #1

Caught this neat fellow today, I've seen many species, unable to get what I really wanted. I'm after Catbird and Mockingbird lately. I have found a good spot, but I got there too late. At least I know where to return next time.

I'm still hearing that Trush, but he's somewhere in the woods, very hard indeed. Seen 3 species of Woodpecker, seen a Hairy, a Northen Flicker - and another species which I'm uncertain - came face to face with him. I froze, waited and waited, I knew by making a move he would notice me and would leave. I litteraly stood-still with my tripod in hand hoping he would leave, not seeing me. So I could find a spot to hide within a tree or something. No luck. It's probably a Yellow-Bellied Woodpecker.

Today I was really after Catbird, seen so many, never been able to get a clear / close shot to them.

Last week, I was after Juvenile American Robin, they are so cute. Finally got 2 today :

As you can see, this is a sequence

And this one is Catbird, taken few weeks ago. Totally missed the exposure on that one and it shows... He was not that close too, poop ! Was underexposed, pushed the EC , but I can't make miracle. Noise is apparent on the bird.

Cheers everyone
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:02 PM   #2

Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:
No luck. It's probably a Yellow-Bellied Woodpecker.
Eric, what is a Yellow-Bellied Woodpecker? There is a Red-Bellied Woodpecker...

Is the area where you look for your forest birds a mixed conifer and hardwood forest? Do you know if there are any Pileated Woodpeckers in the area you go into? Getting pictures of the Pileated would be a great catch!

I like your juvenile Robin pictures and the Catbird picture. The way they are framed among the branches and leaves and the way the sunlight weaves among all of those things lends a very interesting atmosphere. I am not as critical of the Catbird photo as you seem to be - I think that they way the light plays across its back adds to the atmosphere of the picture.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 8:24 AM   #3

Hi Geoff, well I tend to expect more from me about birds, so I will be hard on myself if I make silly mistakes like underexposing shots, like that Catbird.

The Yellow Bellied Woodpecker : Pic Macule : Sphyrapicus varius. Ohh I see on All about Birds website they call it Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. Probably there's a distinction between the English Canadian and American name for it.

The area I'm going right now is the marsh area, but that area is more than marsh. Just east of the marsh land, its a reguvenated forrest, bush trees and going further east the forrest gets thicker. That particular area has no pine trees. Its mostly flat land so the sun is always present. But west of my city is Gatineau Park where there's 3 types of forrest, conifer, the mix and the hardwood, depending on which of the mountain you are.

Right now as I write, I'm going through All About Birds website to try to find a neat bird song I heard yesterday, I believe it's another species of woodpecker...

Ohh it was a Northern Flicker ! Ahh ! Dang I could hear them behind me yesterday, but I was hiding inside tree leaves, I didn't want to show myself so other birds would go away. But at least I know the area he was.

About Pileated woodpecker, just listening to that sound right now, I do hear it often where I am, but its on the other side of the small creek leading to deeper forrest. That's gonna be a hard catch for sure

Saw some Flycatcher yesterday, actually missed one , he stayed on a tree in front of me too, but moved too quick, never had the chance to get him.

Last note, I found a nest of American Robin with at least 2 chicks being fed. What I don't understand is, I thought the first "crop" was already out flying and feeding themselves. Like the 2 shots I'm showing here. But then the 2nd crop due later on this summer is due in a few weeks ? Is it possible this was a late late nest ? I really don't have a clue on that one. I tried to photograph it, but the nest was too high in a maple tree.

Cheers
Old Jul 13, 2004, 8:33 AM   #4

Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:
About Pileated woodpecker, just listening to that sound right now, I do hear it often where I am, but its on the other side of the small creek leading to deeper forrest. That's gonna be a hard catch for sure
But, that would be a catch worth catching! Not too many people ever get to see Pileated Woodpeckers let alone photographing them. There is a mystery about them that is similar to the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker (now extinct so far as anyone knows) because of their large size and reclusive habits. So, if you think you really are hearing Pileateds I would go for it!

Quote:
Last note, I found a nest of American Robin with at least 2 chicks being fed. What I don't understand is, I thought the first "crop" was already out flying and feeding themselves. Like the 2 shots I'm showing here. But then the 2nd crop due later on this summer is due in a few weeks ? Is it possible this was a late late nest ? I really don't have a clue on that one. I tried to photograph it, but the nest was too high in a maple tree.
Well, it really could be either: a late first brood or an early second brood. I would guess it really was a late first brood. The question would be why it was so late to begin with and there could many reasons for that. A good guess could be that the pair of parent Robins had an earlier clutch of eggs and they got destroyed (predation, weather, ???). Then they had to start all over with a new clutch of eggs - their first brood of the season.

Happy hunting today!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:09 AM   #5

Nice shots eric can.

I have been seeing lots of these birds around and suspected they were young robins, your excellent pictures confirm it.

I really like the second one. Caught that pose just right.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:12 AM   #6

you must have alot of birds in your area.:-)Between you and norm I think Ive seen more birds in here than ever before on line.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:18 AM   #7

Very nice captures. Wish I could get robin shots like these. Are these using your big glass (I forget which Eric has the 600mm). I also like the catbird shot. I never seen one in real life. Thanks for posting.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 3:03 PM   #8

Bobbyz, he has the "big bertha" otherwise known as the sigma 50-500. A good lens.

I've been trying (off and on) to get a good shot of a catbird. I think they are a under photographed bird, but a nice one. You got a good clean one, if not perfect.

I've seen one pilliated woodpecker myself, long before I started photography. I've heard them many times this summer, but I haven't seen one. It's kinda frustrating. They are neat birds, and they do have a bit of a mystery about them... they aren't that uncommon around here (I know people who have seen 4 or 5 in a single day) but I think it's more that they really stay in the environments they like and don't wander much (just a guess.)

Good luck getting one. They are on my "casual" hunting list. I don't go out specifically for them, but if I heard one, I'd go after it like icing on cake (get the idea I'm hungry?)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 5:07 PM   #9

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
you must have alot of birds in your area.:-)Between you and norm I think Ive seen more birds in here than ever before on line.

Thanks, but I'm far far away from Norm, and Norm is the champion of productivity in here. He has a technique to get them, I've yet to master

Cheers
Old Jul 13, 2004, 5:08 PM   #10

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Bobbyz, he has the "big bertha" otherwise known as the sigma 50-500. A good lens.

I've been trying (off and on) to get a good shot of a catbird. I think they are a under photographed bird, but a nice one. You got a good clean one, if not perfect.

I've seen one pilliated woodpecker myself, long before I started photography. I've heard them many times this summer, but I haven't seen one. It's kinda frustrating. They are neat birds, and they do have a bit of a mystery about them... they aren't that uncommon around here (I know people who have seen 4 or 5 in a single day) but I think it's more that they really stay in the environments they like and don't wander much (just a guess.)

Good luck getting one. They are on my "casual" hunting list. I don't go out specifically for them, but if I heard one, I'd go after it like icing on cake (get the idea I'm hungry?)

Eric

I'll correct Eric, the Sigma 50-500 is known as Bigma, not big mama ! lol

Cheers