Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:37 AM   #11

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
I have more than one crap shot too. In fact, in the above shots you are actually seeing 2 crap shots and if you inspect the shots closely it's sort of obvious that this isn't the same incident, if you will.
It is well documented how birds will try not to soil their own nest, although there are exceptions in many instances (for example, sapsuckers often cannot occupy the same nesting hole 2 years in a row because the hole from the previous year is overloaded with the droppings of the year before).

I was commenting that I was amazed that Avocets would actually leave the water to defecate on land. That was behavior not associated with their nesting and surprised me.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:29 AM   #12

Thanks Geoff, for the info. I was immensely impressed by the absolute splendor of movement and color on the Avocet so it sort of fell into place that they were also clean about their feeding habits. I appreciated it when I saw this bird wander off to shore, poop, then return to water. The first time I noticed it I thought, hmm, neat chance happening. The second, third, fourth, fifth, etc. time ensured me that it wasn't a "chance" happening, but an actual behavior. I was even more impressed with this bird.

The only thing that "doesn't" impress me with the Avocet is the way it flys, it looks somewhat awkward to me when flying.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 8:50 AM   #13

Norm, it was very observant of you to notice that consistent behavior from the avocets. I don't see any around where I live, but the next time I'm in an area where they occur I will try and look for the behavior.

Can't comment on the avocet's awkward flight pattern - I just haven't observed them enough to have a good base of experience with them.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote