Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:10 PM   #1

I hope I am not boring anyone with these photographs of crab spiders having meals. I went out into the garden today to look for more opportunities and I checked back in at the same flower that the I had taken the other pictures of (actually a different flower but in close proximity to the previous one). Once again, I was greeted by the scene of the crab spider having a meal but this time it was a honeybee and not the bumblebee. I believe that this is the same spider who moved into a nearby flower after the previous flower dried up (Rose of Sharon flowers don't last long).

These pictures were even tougher to get than the last ones since this time the spider was further down into the flower and so conditions were even darker. I still haven't fashioned a makeshift light reflector, darn!

Here they are:

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:57 PM   #2
NHL

... Without the bee, the spyder would be really neat with its color matching the flower!

Can you steal it away? :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:16 PM   #3

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Can you steal it away? :-)
I'm not going to go that near that spider!

I've never seen that spider without a meal in its jaws!
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:25 AM   #4

I agree with NHL, what a beaut of a photo this would be if you somehow got just the flower and the bug. The colors are almost exact on both and I'm sure that's why Mr. Spider chose that home in the first place, and why, in the second place, he's always filling his face with another morsel. Smart spider.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:28 AM   #5

I don't know if that spider is smart, but she certainly is voracious! I think that it would be a great pic if I could get the spider waiting to pounce but with no meal in her jaws. So far, I'm not getting cooperation from her. Tomorrow I'll go out and try and locate her again and see what I can see..
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:17 AM   #6

Strongly agree with the other posters. If you could catch that spider alone with a good lighting situation that would be an awesome shot.

By golly, I think you have been challenged Geoffs.!? Your mission if you decide to accept it............................

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:07 AM   #7

And break out the tinfoil. It can make a decent makeshift reflector. If you need it more ridged, you can put a sheet of it across a piece of cardboard. But your next problem will be how to prop it up so that it reflects the light to the right place. I'm not sure there... bring a chair?

I'm enjoying these shots, so keep at it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:28 PM   #8

Roger and wilco to all the requests! :-)