Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:17 PM   #1

This little guy has been behind my house for some time now. I keep trying to catch him in my camera sights but he is fast and wary and small for only 140mm of focal length!

Today I was able to sneak up on him and managed to get photos of a difficult subject for my equipment. An FZ10 would have been infinitely better than my c-8080. But, I got what I got.

I know that he/she has a nest somewhere on the other side of the fence behind my house but I still can't locate it.

Here is the little guy holding a caterpillar in his bill:

Another view, a little farther away, of the sparrow's other side:

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:39 AM   #2

Those are good captures of a difficult bird. From my experience with this one he doesn't give one much time to think. Unfortunately the background militates against the success of the capture because it's so busy. When I look specifically at the bird, it appears to be nicely focused and not blurred. You can even see the little light glint in the second one's eye.

Nice photos with the small zoom range you're working with, Geoff.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:53 AM   #3

Thanks, Norm. I know the background works against a really good picture but that grass crop behind my house is probably why the sparrow is nesting there. They are grassland sparrows and it is obviously great camouflage cover for this bird. I don't think that I can catch him any place other than with the grass as background!

You have sharp eyes - I didn't even notice the glint in the bird's eyes in the second photo!
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:12 AM   #4

I have always liked sparrows but find them difficult to shoot as they move the moment I point my camera at them. Once in a while, I have been lucky where one of the sparrows will stand still for minutes for me to take his/hers shots.

Geoffs, you should look into fz1 with tcon-17, for $300 you can't beat this combo for bird shots. That's what got me interested into the bird photography.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:57 PM   #5

Bobbyz, I am looking into the FZ series as a temporary alternative until I get a dslr sometime next year. I'd go for the FZ10 though because 2mp just seems so limiting (good for web shots, not enough for prints of any decent size).

Thanks for the comments.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:10 PM   #6

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Bobbyz, I am looking into the FZ series as a temporary alternative until I get a dslr sometime next year. I'd go for the FZ10 though because 2mp just seems so limiting (good for web shots, not enough for prints of any decent size).

Thanks for the comments.

You will be surprised by the prints form FZ1. I printed 8x10 without any mods in PS and my friends with 4MP cams were all amazed. These were shots of some of my family members as well as some bird shots.

Only issue is that you can not crop much. If you like you can check my gallery at http://bobbyz.smugmug.com/animalsMost of the shots are with FZ1 and tcon-17.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:27 PM   #7

You have done very well with your FZ1/TCON combo, bobbyz! I went and looked at your gallery and you have some very good pictures posted there.

I understand that a 2mp camera can produce 8x10 prints but to do it and have the print look really sharp is going to require that you start from a very good original image, hardly cropped as you pointed out.

I haven't made my mind up yet - I'm giving myself another few weeks to do that. Perhaps the newer, just announced Panasonic FZ models will make me go in a slightly different direction...