Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 15, 2004, 5:43 PM   #1

Hi all,

Shot these gulls some time ago and I'd like to show them here.

Critique and opinions are apreciated.

All shot with S7000+Tcon17

Regards
Fernando
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:53 PM   #2

Wow!

Really neat images! I like 2nd and 3rd ones!
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Critique and opinions are apreciated.

Your photographs are wonderful, it is clear that you have an extreme talent for photography. Gulls are common, that is my only complaint and critique on these. I hope you take your gear farther out into the wilds and continue to share your great talent with us here.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:07 AM   #4

beautiful shots even if they are a common bird:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:53 AM   #5

These are very nice shots, Fernando. They may be gulls, but there are different species of gulls and not all species are as common as others. I'm surprised no one has tried to identify these gulls yet.

The biggest problem with identifying these birds is that Fernando has not filled in his location information in his account preferences. I don't know if these are east or west coast North American gulls, European gulls, or gulls in South America. Fernando, could you possibly fill in that info?

Next, let me say that gull identification can be hard, very hard. I'll wait until Fernando let's us know where he took these photos and, if it's somewhere in North America, I'll venture a guess.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:23 AM   #6

Nice shots. The last 3 could use a little bit -ve EV.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:30 AM   #7

Neat shots! I really like the first two shots. Flying in formation and sitting looking like twins on the rock. Like the combination of colors.

My only tech question is about noise reduction. Is it possible the noise reduction was a tad overdone resulting ina loss of feather detail and a somewhat smooth look on a couple of the shots. I admit I know nothing about seagulls so they may naturally have a somewhat smooth look.

I only ask this because I am just learning to use noise reduction and am finding this issue to be a real catch 22 problem.

My favorite is the second one. That could be a postcard!
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:07 PM   #8

Hi, thanks a lot all of you for your comments.

To Geoffs, I just updated my profile, they're European Gulls, well at least they're were shot in Portugal, don't know from where they flown if you want to ID them further I'd apreciate that too. Your right gulls are hard to identify I've been researching my bird book, on these and other gulls I've shot and have to confess... I quit. :-)

To bobbyz, I agree that the last two are definetely overexposed, the last on the head and the 2nd last on the tail, but why the third? on my monitor I can see very clear details on the brightest parts.

To zoomn, I only applied noise reduction on the first and the fourth, because of the sky. All of the others are as shot in the noise department, gulls are indeed a smooth bird, specially on the white feathers.

Regards

Fernando

Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:08 PM   #9

Awesome shots! I love the lst one where he is coming straight at the camera!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 4:32 PM   #10

Fernando wrote:
Quote:
To Geoffs, I just updated my profile, they're European Gulls, well at least they're were shot in Portugal, don't know from where they flown if you want to ID them further I'd apreciate that too. Your right gulls are hard to identify I've been researching my bird book, on these and other gulls I've shot and have to confess... I quit. :-)
Ach! Fernando, I sometimes have enough trouble keeping id straight in North American birds. I don't think I could keep things straight in my mind if I now also start trying to crowd in characteristics of European birds. I'll leave these ids up to someone familiar with birds of your region...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote