Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:49 PM   #1
djb

I was looking at some of the heron pictures i have taken and found one that had a couple of flies on the head of the heron. not a great pic but thought it interesting. they're hard to see on the full bird but, the crop shows them sharpened a bit.

dennis

also here are a couple of missed shots i got yesterday

#1 the great grand daddy og great blue herons

#2 either a young great blue heron or maybe a tricolored heron or night heron.

as you can see they are missed shots due to not having my camera with me. i was going to a conservation committe hearing to access my land through some wetlands. i decided to go to Kay's for fried clams and went by a couple of small marshy ponds. nothing was there before supper but, on my way back into town there was the largest great blue heron standing "knee" deep in one pond and in the other pond was a much smaller rusty pink shaded heron. was i a bit miffed at myself. so, i guess the advice is to bring along your camera where ever you go. as for the herons the big one really was huge. i have never seen a heron as big as this one. the smaller one surprised me with it's coloring. a real rusty pinkish color all over. could it have been an immature great blue?? the tricolors and night herons have a pinkish coloring in their upper body and neck areas but, this was all over. an ideas?

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 8:21 PM   #2

Dennis, it was pretty sharp of you to notice those flies on the heron's head. I guess humans and horses aren't the only thing bothered by flies!

As far as the bird that you could not identify, let's see what you think about these photos:

1. Did it look like this photo? (Tricolored Heron immature - 22" tall)

2. Or this photo? (Green Heron immature - 14" tall)

3. Or perhaps even like this photo? (Yellow-Crowned Night Heron immature - 21" tall)

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 8:27 PM   #3
djb

geoffs, it looked like the tricolored heron. there didn't appear to be many markings or different colors. it was a good size but smaller than the great blues and the coloring was about the same as the pic of the tricolor.

dennis
Old Jul 15, 2004, 8:55 PM   #4

Well, that's pretty neat Dennis. It is a shame that you didn't get a picture of it!

I think that you live in the same general vicinity of Eric S. I bet he'd love to know the location of that tricolored immature!
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:30 PM   #5
djb

geoffs, i do live fairly close to Eric S. a few towns away. i can tell you/him/others that these herons were in Westminster, Mass. on rte 2A east just outside Garner, Mass. and just before Kay's restaurant. this was only the second time that i've seen herons there but it really depends on the time of day. this was about 6:30 PM.

dennis
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:14 PM   #6

Thanks, Dennis, it's too far away for me (haha), but hopefully Eric will peek in here and see your location info. He might be interested...