Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:29 PM   #1

Hi everyone, few days ago I've posted some raptor shots that was taken when I met these 2 trainers. I still have some shots in my magic trick bag. Kept this one fora rainy day, where I had nothing else to do than do some serious PS work

So here it is, a neat Bald Eagle, tongue out with a lean mean look

This photo is a nice challenge, how to expose this correctly ? I've taken many shots at different exposure speed, went from 1/320 sec to 1/640 sec, chose the last one. At 1/320 the white feathers were overexposed, couldn't retrieve enough blown highlights and the shots in between were not to my taste - question of how the bird was presenting himself. Chose this one knowing that the darker feathers would show noise if I push the exposure on the positive side. Was taken at ISO800. Used all the tricks I know in PS (I'm still learning, lol) to get the most I had.

Cheers everyone

Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:33 PM   #2

Eric, you caught the dynamics of that bird's face wonderfully. These raptors amaze me, and their eyesight, well, one would think that they eat a ton of carrots per day in order to be able to see as well as they do. Whenever I even a hawk on the road, 500 yards away, I know that it can see the beads in my gaze and that's exactly why they take off before I can even begin to get a photograph.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:50 PM   #3

Agree with you Norm, guess we wish for an instant to see what they are seeing. Would be amazing. Betcha our lens are pale in comparison, LOL !

Been told these are wonderfull fishers, I thought they were after birds, the trainer told me they were not.

Thanks and cheers
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:19 PM   #4

Wonderfully detailed shot Eric! The expression on that bird (and the sharp beak and talons) would strike fear into any potential prey!

You can understand why this bird is the national symbol of the US.

There's a bald eagle that hangs out along a river (on a friend's property) about 4 or 5 miles from me. Once I get some better gear for distance shooting I'm going to see what I can do about getting me some eagle pictures!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:26 PM   #5

Hehe Geoff, yes the facial expression is excellent. When I got closer to do a good portrait of him (was taken at 120mm or close to that) he started to shoot loud, LOL.

Cheers
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:44 PM   #6

The Golden eagle will hunt land animals and birds, but the Bald prefers fish. We had a really cold winter this past year. This caused many lakes and ponds to freeze over (even the deep big ones.) Over the past few years a pair of eagles have been found living on one of the medium sized lakes. But the lake froze up almost completely (maybe 30" square of space where the water flowed in.) We thought they were going to leave and go further south, but the never did.

I have watched them hunt from a boat and from the shore. It's really great. It's more about raw power than when an osprey hunts.

That is a really nice shot, but you already know that! I've taken pictures of wild eagles before, and I've even gotten fairly close (I caught a feather when it came out on take off) but I've never come that close.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:17 PM   #7

i-m-p-r-e-s-s-i-v-e!!!

Great shot!!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:29 PM   #8

Very nice! Look at those claws!
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 6:39 PM   #9

discodudette wrote:
Quote:
i-m-p-r-e-s-s-i-v-e!!!

Great shot!!

discodutte
Old Jul 16, 2004, 6:39 PM   #10

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Very nice! Look at those claws!

Yes, they are quite claws indeed, cheers !