Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 16, 2004, 7:17 PM   #11

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Excellent work on the processer. You've added quite a bit of yellow, probably to bring out the flowers and background, but perhaps it might take a bit of focus from the main subject, the bear.

I think that you have definitely improved the bear, Eric, but the incidental background is perhaps too much boosted into focus, and center of attention?

Just a thought.

I am very afraid of bears too.

Agree on that Norm, if I wouldn't showed the before/after shot, that aspect would probably be less noted. I used a warming filter in PS @ 25% for everything but the bear. I guess I can easily drop that level by using one of the original TIFF.

Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:48 PM   #12

Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:
I used a warming filter in PS @ 25% for everything but the bear. I guess I can easily drop that level by using one of the original TIFF.
This is the part of post-processing that really makes me go nuts. Ok, to apply a filter to everything but the bear, it's going to mean that you selectively apply the filter by selecting the portion of the picture you want it to affect, or the other way around and invert the selection.

That sounds fine and easy. But I find that I have a very tough time getting an accurate selection. What I mean by this is that let's say I want to sharpen just the bear- I'd create a selection that includes just the bear and apply USM and it should affect only the selection. In practice, what happens is that my selection is not accurate enough and I end up with an often visible area around the bear, that is not pixels of the bear, that end up getting the sharpening treatment.

It bugs the heck out of me that everyone else talks about doing this so simply and for me it seems so difficult. There must be something that I am not understanding so I'd appreciate it if you could enlighten me...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 6:11 AM   #13

Geoff, its more simple than that. Using the lasso and stuff like that (including selection, invert and so on) is simply a pain you know where.

Here's a simple way of doing it. This is valid for any possible manipulation you can think of, including Unsharp Mask, Blur, anything really.

If you have PS 6, 7 or CS, you'll have to use the eraser tool OR better use ADD LAYER MASK - HIDE ALL. I'll start with that. Make a duplicate layer you wish to edit. ALWAYS make a duplicate layer of any image you wish to edit. Why ? Cause you don't want to actually edit the original. If you make a mistake, you can always delete that duplicate layer if you can't recover that error. Working on the original means, you need to close the image, NOT save it and start from scratch again.

Soon theLAYER tab (top center)- DUPLICATE LAYER.

Layer Tool window (right of PS), now you see Background and Background Copy, Background Copy should be highlighted here (mine is Blue). Then under IMAGE (tab), look for ADJUSTMENTS then PHOTO FILTER, apply any you want.

In this case, the eraser tool is faster since the bear wont be filtered. So click on the eraser tool, choose the size of the brush you wish,IMPORTANT choose a type of brush that has a smooth edge (less opacity towards the edge), not a solid type brush (same apply to the normal brush tool example in the next paragraph). Brush (Erase in this case) all the bear, that filter won't be seen on the bear. But the rest of the image will. Its that simple Geoff.

If for example we use Unsharp Mask for the bear only, using Add Layer MAsk - Hide All, then use the Brush Tool to REVEAL USM on the bear only, then we would brush over the bear USM would reveal and the rest of the image would not be affected.

I just noted that PS Element 2 don't seem to have : IMAGE - ADJUSTMENTS - PHOTO FILTER, a real shame.... poop

Btw, I seldom use photo filter, only used mostly for sceneries.

Hope this helps
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 9:59 AM   #14

Thank you for the tutorial, Eric!!! I just tried out your techniques in PSE2 and it doesn't have the same menu items, as you mentioned, but I was able to apply the technique pretty much as you described. It would indeed be nice to have the Add Layer Mask - Hide All capability but PSE2 doesn't seem to support that.

I can see that I am going to have to put out the money to get PS sooner rather than later.

Eric, thanks for taking the time to teach me that!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote