Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 17, 2004, 2:44 AM   #1

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2004, 7:34 AM   #2

:-)

For a second there, I though that the one higher up was actually standing on the back of another.... then I'd ask if that one drank too much!

Nice little group you got there. I don't know what type of gulls they are, but I've never seen them before.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:16 AM   #3

Cute group of young gulls that you captured there, Suzan. I also thought that that one gull Eric mentioned was standing on another! :-)

Something is funny about this picture to me. Did you play with color on this image at all? The gulls' bills are orange but I can't see any gulls in the field guide that have orange gulls. OTOH, these look to be immature gulls and identification of gulls, especially immatures, is an art in itself. Who knows...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:36 AM   #4

My WB was a little on the warm side but not post color playing. Someone suggested 'Heermans' gulls but I don't know. I'll check it out when I go back this weekend.

Suzan
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:04 AM   #5

You know, Suzan, I think that person that told you Heerman's Gull was right! It was staring me right in my face in my very worn field guide and I didn't even notice it! What's even funnier is that the field guide (Peterson's) describes the gull like this:

Quote:
The easiest western gull to identify...
(slaps hand on head!!!!) I guess I'm losing my touch :-)
Old Jul 17, 2004, 6:01 PM   #6

HAha great shot and hilarious caption! They all look so lost!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 1:52 AM   #7

That one on the rock has to be the alpha "parent" (politically correct). Cute photograph. Does anyone know if it's a psychological problem if I focused on the birdie doo-doo dripping from the rocks in the background?

This is a real neat photograph. The shape of the birds and similar shape of the background rocks, as well as thecolor of the background rocks, and the complete neutralness of the sand (is neutralness a word?) all adds up to one impressive photo! Not to mention that nothing is either under or overexposed and everything is pretty darned sharp. I'm lovin' it personally.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 1:56 AM   #8

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if it's a psychological problem if I focused on the birdie doo-doo dripping from the rocks in the background?
Maybe. But if you had first looked at this posting by Suzan which is even more graphic in the bird poop arena, I'd say that Suzan had just sensitized you to it is all.

The funny thing is that I noticed it exactly as you did!
Old Jul 18, 2004, 2:14 AM   #9

Disco and Jenni have a unique way of doing things. I think we should crown them a pair! Remember Rowan and Martin, Jerry and Dean, Abbot and Costello...well, now we have Disco and Jenni, and I personally love it, it's entertaining to say the least. Go for it gals. You are making alot of people smile.

And Imkayd is following the tradition, or may even be part of the group?

A bit of poo poo always plays a part in these things, I personally think. Let's face it, a fart is funny. What we see in the background of this photo is evidence that even birds can fart, and even go further.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 2:20 AM   #10

Normcar, thanks for the kind words about the photo. It just so happens that it's one of the first on my first day out with my new fz10.

Everybody thanks for the kind words.

Suzan