Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:39 AM   #1

There were three of these young sparrows sitting on a wire. It was very hot and they were sitting there with their mouths open trying to cool off.

They are 4 or 5 inches tall and the parents are about the same size. One of the parents has a dark pretty shiny back.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:12 AM   #2

Cute picture, zoomn. That is a young barn swallow, it's not a sparrow at all. It's obviously screaming for food :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:19 AM   #3

Thanks for the ID geoffs.

I don't think it was wanting food. They were not making any noise.

It was over 100 degrees that day and all the birds were sitting around with their mouths open trying to cool off. That is why I posted the shot cause I had never notice birds panting before.

As I'm sure you know birds will hold their mouths open and their wings apart from their bodys to cool off when it is really hot. Kind of like your pose on your Blue Heron shot. I just read about it on the internet so that makes me an expert:?.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:21 PM   #4

Zoomn, you are right... that is exactly what they do in the heat. They can't sweat, like humans.... so like a dog, they pant.

Nice picture, BTW. I've always been a fan of their coloration.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:38 PM   #5

Absolutely right about that open mouth being for heat dissipation as well as possibly for wanting food. I've seen the exact same thing from my wife's African Lovebirds after we've let them fly around the room for exercise!

(I guess I should read the text posted with the picture a little more carefully next time)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:43 PM   #6

Nice shots zoomn. I also got lucky over the weekend. Here it is.

I am not sure if he(or she)has got something in his/her mouth or is it natural. I was only able to take 2 shots.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 11:31 PM   #7

Zoomn and Bobbyz, both of your shots are just great. Zoomn, I really like how unique yours is. It is not every day you see a bird like that, with that pose. Did you have to crop quite a bit or is your original image quite large? If it is large, that would make a nice print...

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:14 AM   #8

darrell1,

Yes the photo is about the original size. I just cropped off the side a bit for composition reasons.

Thanks for taking a look. There were three of them panting on the wire but I was unable to get a shot of them all at once in focus.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 9:06 PM   #9

oh, gawd, zoomn, what an absolutely priceless capture. I've taken loads of photos of this bird but nothing close to the superb emotion and background blur. I'd say about as perfect as it can get! Thank you for sharing this moment!

PS - and the tiny small immature nature of the bird adds much more. One could look for a year and not find this moment. You have frozen it for us to enjoy! Excellent!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 9:00 AM   #10

Thanks Normcar, really appreciat you taking time to look at the shot and your comment.

It was kind of neat seeing them sitting there panting on that wire, glad you liked the shot.

This is actually right outside my window at work. I had seen them out there the day before so brought my camera to see if I could catch them.