Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:08 AM   #11

Here`s something i`ve seen before and didn`t like,,,,,,,in the post above this one it say`s" style-background-color" ,,what is this,,i`ve seen it in other posts from other people,,,,don`t like it,,,anyone know what to do to get rid of this foolish text ??

Brian

Sorry you can`t see it anymore,,,i edited it out,,,but it really is a pain trying to read a message with that in it...
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:50 AM   #12

Thanks for the exposure info, Brian. That will really help me once I start trying to take pictures of these little jewels. Since you were using flash, I am going to assume that you were probably within 20 feet or so of the birds, especially so because of the detail you are picking up on them.

As to the idiosyncrasies of the bulletin board software, can't help you there. It's something which needs to be fixed by the developers of the software. I've had the same problem, as has many others, and the only fix is what you have already done. Another annoyance has to do with the smilies or emoticons you select from on the left side of the editing window - you choose one but when you post your message a different one gets displayed - very annoying.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 6:30 PM   #13

Thanks geoffs,,,,,and yes i was close,,,,the first pic i was within 2-3 feet,,,the feeder is just outside the patio doors,,,you can camo yourself with the vertical blinds and just let the flash and lense stick out,,,only problem i had the first shoot out was i had to stand there with my finger on the shutter release for about 3 or 4 hours,,but i got about 50 shots that day,,well worth the shoulder pain i received,,,the DC was amost over my head on a good tripod to get the angle i wanted...

The main thing i learned that day with the 6490 was that even though you are not close (up to 5 feet away),,set the DC to macro mode,,,it will keep the cam from focusing on the background and speed the focusing up when they appear,,,i found it locked on immediately,,,time needed with this subject...

Brian
Old Jul 24, 2004, 7:16 PM   #14

Brian, once again, thanks for the further elaboration on your technique. I don't own the dx6490 but I wonder how other digicams compare in their behavior.

Hope you don't mind. I went ahead and NeatImage'd your photo, displayed below. See what you think about it compared to the image you processed using the Helicon software.

Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2004, 7:56 PM   #15

Better i`d say,,thanks geoffs,,,i wonder if the program is better,,or did you just sharpen it,,,how much playing did you have to do?????...i usually don`t play arrround with the image much,,just crop,resize,,ans sometimes i`ll frame it...

Brian
Old Jul 24, 2004, 8:02 PM   #16

Here`s after helicon and sharpening in PSP,,,,looks worse sharpened a little..still think your`s turned out better...

Brian
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2004, 8:44 PM   #17

Well geoffs since i was not impressed with the results i got from Helicon i decided to boot up Noise Ninja pro,,,and got this,,,Helicon at 22% looked better than the attempt i posted before but Noise Ninja seems better,,you can move the preview arround to see what is going to happen,,,and a lot of control too,,this program is definately better,,,and you can save the filter/noise profiles which is nice..

What do you think,,,better,,,i`m no pro at these programs,,,i`ve been taking pics for 20+ years but just went digital in the last 8 months..

Brian
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2004, 8:51 PM   #18

brianhare wrote:
Quote:
Better i`d say,,thanks geoffs,,,i wonder if the program is better,,or did you just sharpen it,,,how much playing did you have to do
Well, I am no NeatImage expert, that's for sure. I did everything using the defaults except that instead of using the default noise filtering I selected the canned "filter and sharpen" processing. It was basically a 2-3 minute process, start to finish, on such a small size image - it'd take a bit longer on the fullsize original.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 8:52 PM   #19

Overall, Brian, I'd say that NoiseNinja and NeatImage produce comparable results. They are both capable programs with a good deal of flexibility for customization. Either one will do the trick.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 9:06 PM   #20

One question too,,,how do you put a pic in your author side of the thread,,,can you put animation????? I see you have a western theme ..

Brian