Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:36 PM   #1

While driving on a small road, I saw an american kestral on tree. So I park my car and took some shots. I didn't want to scare it by getting out from my car, so could't avoid the tree branches getting in the way.

After a while, he/she decided to land on another perch whichgave me a better view.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:56 PM   #2

He gave you a lot of good views, bobbyz! Nice shots. The first one would have been the best of all of them except for the darn branch in the way.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:13 PM   #3

WOW! Fantastic shots.

You really caught some nice ones here. My favorite is the third one, love the pose and he is hanging onto not much branch.

Which camera were you using on these. Very cool that you were able to get so close.

I never can get closer than about 40 to 50 yards in my car to the adults.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:18 PM   #4

Thanks geoffs & zoomn.

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Which camera were you using on these. Very cool that you were able to get so close.
Zoomn - I am using 10D along with the 100-400L IS lens.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:35 PM   #5

Very nicely done. I just had the joy of watching a pair of kestrel babies grow up (just missed fledging by about 2 hours!) They are great birds, aren't they.

Don't you just love it when some rapter picks a branch which looks too small for it? They way they grab makes me think "wouldn't it just be easier to go over there..." but they never do. That third shot is lovely.

I agree with geoffs, that first should would have been great without the branch. I still like it... and there was nothing you can do about it. It's part of what keeps me going back for more "I will get a better one next time!"

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:07 PM   #6

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Very nicely done. I just had the joy of watching a pair of kestrel babies grow up (just missed fledging by about 2 hours!) They are great birds, aren't they.
Sorry, bobbyz, to vector away from your posting - I just wanted to ask Eric a question on his kestrel babies...

Eric, did the plumage of the kestrel babies change to the more classic kestrel plumage as they were ready to fledge? The babies had very dark color in the pictures you posted.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:57 PM   #7

No, and in fact those baby pictures were taken on the day that they fledged.

I talk regularly with a person who lives up the street from where they grew up. She's seen them on occasion flying around. I'll ask her if they have changed into full adult plumage. I wish I could find my photographic guide to north american raptors, as I bet it would say when they change.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:37 PM   #8

Wow! Exceptional! I really like #1. Too bad about the branch in #1 because that is a great pose.

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote