Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:16 AM   #1

All below photographed with FZ10, ISO 50, on full manual (reduced for quicker download); no noise processing used.

Waxwing (liked the "perch" setting and the fluff traces on the bird)

Robin (loved the spotted coloring on this one so I posted. The background seemed to blend in nicely with the coloration as well)

Warbler (not the best shot; background blown out; however, reasonable photo at 420mmwith 1.5x teleconverter hand-held)

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:26 AM   #2

norm.....this is the fz10?

the second, honestly, looks like you're lying to me!

great clarity fora non SLR, teleconverter shot!

i love the first two, the sky detracts from the last one, but definetely not bad for handheld!

great perch in the first one!

nice shots norm!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:43 AM   #3

Hi Vito, thanks for your honesty in relating a suspicion, it keeps us all honest, which his good. I've always been extremely impressed with the FZ10 when it's used in full manual mode and at ISO 50. I find that if I follow the above 2 rules with the camera and simply use other normal basics of lighting and settings that I can get some beautiful photos with the camera. One reason the last one is less successful is because of the angle of shooting.

Ican assure youthat these photos were all taken with the FZ10 because it's the only camera I took out today. As well, just to ensure my honesty I've posted a printscreen from PSP 8 showing the Exif on "type of camera" used.

I appreciate that you are having trouble telling the difference as in many previous photos with the FZ10 I've found it difficult to figure out why I'm spending so much for a DSLR. Of course it's the "phile" factor.

In any event, here's the printscreen on the robin:

Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:21 AM   #4

Norm, it sounds like you are a "man on a mission", the mission being to prove to those of us "out here" that the FZ10 in the hands of a good photographer can get results similar to a dslr. And you know what? You're proving it!

The first two pictures are just sparkling examples, great exposure and detail. The last one is probably the best you can do given the angle and lighting.

Thanks for such great examples. I know that before I go on my trip this fall I will end up with something other than what I currently have. What that something will be will be interesting to see, but your pictures are definitely keeping that FZ series of cameras in the forefront...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 2:36 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments geoff. I'm definitely not on a mission for the FZ10 any longer. However, I was for a number of months in the Panasonic forum and things got somewhat heated for awhile there because of my belief that the camera can perform under the right circumstances. I came to the conclusion that I needed to tone down substantially on the "mission" principle and just let the photographs speak for themselves, which I am attempting to do.and that's why I ensure that an FZ10 photo is posted as such and not as something from the Rebel or other.

People who can't afford to buy this or that piece of expensive equipment might see as well that they can get some reasonable product without going broke or quitting the venture altogether out of frustration.

Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:15 AM   #6

#1 and #2 are amazing

really good shots
chris doudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:00 AM   #7

Very nice Normcar.

As you know you don't have to sell me on the fz cameras. Were you using the tcon 17 or the Panasonic teleconverter. I have seen that the Panasonic does an excellent job.

I get the same thing from people. They have a hard time believing my "good" pictures are coming from a 2mp camera at such extreme zoom factors. Many people are convinced that digital zoom is the devil, but it seems to work for me with my setup.

I really like that first shot. Looks like he is sitting on a pedestal posing just for you.

Love those waxwings, does anybody know if we have them in Idaho.

Nice shot of a young robin. There are lots of them around here and they aren't as shy as the adults, agree the spots make them a more interesting subject.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:03 AM   #8

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Love those waxwings, does anybody know if we have them in Idaho.
Zoomn, you've got Cedar Waxwings all year round. In the winter you'll also get Bohemian Waxwings...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:35 AM   #9

Normcar, that robin shot is one of best ones I have seen from FZ10. We don't get waxwings over here in northern CA (well I haven't seen one yet) and even the robings have disappeared lately.

Any particular reason to use manual mode on the FZ10? I don't have the manual option on my FZ1 but even on my 10D, I prefer aperture priority most of the time (for bird shots).
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:41 AM   #10

Thanks Geoffs, I don't mean to impose on Normcars thread, sorry.

What type of habitat would I look for the waxwings in. I am sure I have never seen one in the wild.

Normcar do you find yourself wrestling over which camera to take when you leave your house to take pictures.

I bet it is tough to leave the light and convenient fz10 at home.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote