Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:08 PM   #1

http://www.pbase.com/image/29544257

http://www.pbase.com/image/29545041

These were taken in Alaska in May 2004
videocastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:06 PM   #2

Gawd those animals frighten me. Great photos that scare me to death. By the way, if you wish to post directly in channel, here's how:

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:41 PM   #3

videocastle wrote:
Quote:
These were taken in Alaska in May 2004
Good shots! You sure were able to get pictures of a variety of animals up there. Were you in your car when you took these pictures?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 6:25 AM   #4

Was standing outside of a motorhome on the side of the road. They were more interested in eating than be watched. In fact, had to make noise like blowing the horn before they would look up.
videocastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:55 AM   #5

You could have gotten the same shots without a zoom. All you had to do is get a little closer. :?

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 8:23 AM   #6

Good plan easy ray:?. I am sure they are friendly.

Nice bear shots, both appear to be large sized specimens.

The grizzly is a nice bonus, never seen one in the wild and I am ok with that.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:01 AM   #7

EasyRay wrote:
Quote:
You could have gotten the same shots without a zoom. All you had to do is get a little closer.
Hmmm, I know you were joking EasyRay but I've seen tourists in Glacier Park that behaved that stupidly!

Way back (mid-70's) when I was helping conduct some research in Glacier, it was mid-June and a grizzly sow and 2 cubs were resting on a snow bank at the side of the road along Lake McDonald. I stopped about 100 feet back of them but a husband and wife tourist couple from California had stopped their car right beside the bears. The wife was out of the car standing by the snow bank trying to snap their photo. The husband was beeping their car horn at the instruction of his wife because she wanted to get the bears' attention to get them into a better pose! Nothing bad happened, but it wasn't because the human couple wasn't stupidly trying to make something happen.

Sheesh! Stupidity!
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:05 PM   #8

Geoffs you are right. For people unfamiliar with real wild animals they can form an opinion from the media who try to portray wild animals as having the same attributes as humans.

I watched a movie last year with Tommy Lee Jones in it last year where a wild wolf was caught in a trap. Tommy walks up to it talking in smooth tones and the wolf lets him open the trap and free its leg. In real life ole Tommy would have been sporting some new scars and the wolf would still be in the trap.

That couple you mentioned were very lucky.

If they had been out hiking in an area with real wild bears and saw a grizz and cubs and starting heading towards it to get picture they would probably not have been so lucky.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:59 PM   #9

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Geoffs you are right. For people unfamiliar with real wild animals they can form an opinion from the media who try to portray wild animals as having the same attributes as humans.
Yep. When I was getting my wildlife biology degree at the University of Montana, the professors used to refer to this attitude as the Bambi Complex (remember Walt Disney's Bambi? ...and those big tears?)

Quote:
That couple you mentioned were very lucky.

If they had been out hiking in an area with real wild bears and saw a grizz and cubs and starting heading towards it to get picture they would probably not have been so lucky.
Haha - these were real wild bears. The people were just plain lucky that the sow was more interested in keeping cool on the snow than in them!