Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 7, 2004, 1:31 PM   #1

I think this is an american bittern from looking in my bird book.

This shot is from about 100 yards away, could not get any closer, believe me I tried. I Followed this thing to three different ponds, got lots of long range shots.

I believe this is a turkey vulture. I was quite surprised to see this bird. I did not know we had vultures in Idaho. There they were 5 of them in the road right in front of me. This picture is from about 50 yards.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2004, 1:45 PM   #2

Zoomn, you're one of the most determined stalkers I know. A bittern that be and a turkey vulture too. Taken from 100 and 50 yards respectively, those are not bad captures at all. Wish my camera could do that.

Turkey vultures are common almost everywhere in the lower 48 states. When they are soaring you'll notice that their wings rest above the plane of their bodies, giving them a slight v-shape. From below they are also 2-toned, grey and black.

BTW, the field guide describes the bittern as a slow and deliberate gaited bird. Yeah, right, until you try and get close to them... :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 5:32 PM   #3

geoffs,

Thanks a lot for responding and confirming my id's. These are both birds that I have never seen before so it was an excellent day even though I didn't get any good technical shots. That darn bittern was almost as wary as the herons I have been stalking. I tell you I have been amazed at the alertness of these birds. They are proving to be worthy quarry.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 4:59 PM   #4

Zoomn,

Regarding turkey vultures, so see them everywhere over here in CA. You will notice that in the evening, a bunch of them will be circling pretty low in the sky. Easier to take flight shots at that time. They are getting ready to sleep for the night on some perch. Once you see one come & land, the other will follow soon and land near by. I just park my car (if possible) and start clicking. Also in the winter time, you will see them with their wings spread, facing sun (like cormorants) during morning hrs.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote