Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 13, 2004, 2:35 AM   #1

I'm looking forward to a mid-september San Francisco trip for some great photo opportunities. Any suggestions? I saw online some intriguing cruises to the Farallon Islands, any comments on that?
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:01 AM   #2

What kind of photography? I thought Farallon islands not open to the public. There are whale watching tours etc.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 2:02 AM   #3

Yes, exactly... I am interested in general bay area photo ops, but also, I saw a Farallon Island cruise for whales/sharks, but also for bird pics, which I would be interested in. The description seemed like an amazing boat cruise that went out to the Farallon Islands where there would be tons of bird/nature photo opportunities.

However, it is nearly a 6 hour tour, and if it isn't that great I'd hate to waste a half a day on it.

What would you suggest, I'll be in San Fran for 3 days and then in Napa for 2?

Also, I expect that staying at the wharf we can burn at least a day without a car, but Golden Gate Park looks like a good visit, am I right that we need a car for that? Is that a full day?

What would you suggest to fill such a vacation?

Any suggestions would be great, this is our first visit.
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:44 PM   #4

If weather is bad (foggy) which is usually happens this time in SF, you wouldn't have good luck in the sea.

For birds, I will suggest Palo Alto Baylands. It is 30min drive from SF. To get great egret shots, all you have to do is drive to the rookery near the palo alto airport. You will be right under the palm trees to shoot these birds. Mornings is good time. You can also shoot birds in flight (like egrets/gull/terns/herons etc). If you take some trails there, you get to see white pelicans and other birds.

While in SF, take the first or secondexit after GG bridge to go over the marin headlands (you have to take left to go under 101). great views of the GGB and the city. Mid afternoon and dusk better as sun light falling on the bridge.

You will get to see sea lions on fisherman's wharf. For GG park you can take the bus or rent a bike. Conservatory of flowers is good but not sure if they allow tripods.

On napa side, point reyes is great place for wild life. It can be foggy so check weather. I visited a great heron rookery in Bodega Bay.

For sceneic shots drive on highway 1 along the coast.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 4:06 PM   #5

Go to Golden Gate Recreational Area just north of Golden Gate Bridge.

If possible, have a bicycle along so you can get some shots on the bridge.

They are highpoints above the bridge that create a visual illusion at nite...you feel as if you could reach down and pluck a car off the road ala Godzilla.

Also, if it is foggy and you are up there...the foghorns are so powerful that you feel the resonations in your chest when they sound.

You could also go to Yosemite NP which would be a long day trip but you could stay in Merced (outside the park) relatively inexpensively.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote