Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 28, 2002, 4:57 AM   #1

Default Better or Worse ?

Opinions please. Which do you prefer ?

or 2.

They are both from the same Photoshop cropped image. Neither has had any unsharp mask applied, but image 2 was re-sized, which allowed me to publish it at a higher image quality and display it at the original pbase display size.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2002, 9:26 PM   #2

Default I prefer the second one!

Without a doubt, as his face is much more in focus, for one thing.

Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 4:46 PM   #3

Strangely enough I saw this lovely pic when you first posted it on Birdpix.com and 'lifted' it to sharpen it up.....didn't want to mention it a the time, but obviously you had the same thoughts. I usually sharpen the original full size image (for printing), then resize for the web and resharpen again at a lower setting (usually @ 100 /0.5/ 3 for an 800x600 web pic).
Best regards,
Andy B
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 7:02 AM   #4

Glad you like ! Strangely enough I've still never got round to doing any sharpening of this shot, it's still just "out of the camera". The main thing for me at that point was learning how to re-size images for Internet publication without dropping the image quality.

I'm still careful about how much I modify images (unless I'm feeling arty). I've sometimes worked on an image, thought it looked fine, put it onto pbase and then imediately removed it - because the artifacts that I'd added suddenly stood out.

Here's a pointer to probably the most modified bird shot to date that I've published.

http://www.pbase.com/image/6039415/original.jpg

(Changed size from medium to original on 19/10/2002 following Andy's comment)

If you look closely at the birds heads you can see a rap-round distortion, which I think originates from my application of Sharp Image.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 12:31 PM   #5

The Golden Plover shot does look a bit strange ( the pic is a bit too small to really see).... though this effect is often caused by zooming back on the camera zoom to take in more of the e.p. view, so you get an unfocused and distorted surround due to the curvature of the e.p. Not sure what sharpening system you used, but it really shouldn't be doing that sort of damage.
Best regards,
Andy B
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote