Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:24 AM   #1

Cute Duckie and reflection (cut off at the head just for fun)

Kingfisher with an attitude (like me)

Blue Heron with a goal (like me)

Blue Heron who decides to look for another goal (like me)

I'd rather be a Chickadee [because they like to move about and are friendly, but only when they want to be, but they always remain cute]

Aaack, what the heck is this big-eyed cutie?

Did I tell you about the Chickadees yet? I'm sure that some might be saying, that's not surprising...that Normcar is a bit weird. Yep, and lovin' it.

My little input on post sizes: I think that 500 pixels is okay and sufficiently demos the credibility of the photo. Please remember that some of us are still on telephone modems, at 56, and if you post an 800 pixel photo you might ask yourself why, since a 400 to 500 will demo the quality sufficiently, if talent is the point and not the resolution. Just something to hash over y'all. I'm not being an ass in this matter, I'm being completely responsible and my only goal is to be able to download some of your photos faster. I'm not on a cable modem. Thanks.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:06 AM   #2

Norm, I think you've got some really showy pictures among these. I especially like the shots of the duck, chickadees, and the 1st year Canada Warbler (I believe that that is what the bird is that you couldn't id).

Did you use the 1dMkII for these shots?

I can't wait to see more of your pictures from vacation...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:22 AM   #3

I went out specifically to test the Mark II on this venture. I couldn't have even begun to get the "action" shots without it. I also tested it on sharpness with my EOS Rebel and it was actually better even with jpg, which surprised me. I was expecting less. The dynamic of this camera is:

- fast, fast, fast

= starts up immediately

= uses both format cards so I can use my FZ10 cards as well

- fast, fast, fast

- did I mention that it's fast?

- it sharpens nicely out of camera, so the "soft" image debate has become, to me, redundant, as I have tested it with all cameras I have and it is excellent

= problems: it weighs more than the Rebel

I must explain how fast it is, though. When I put it in burst mode and press the shutter button, it's like a machine gun

Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:59 AM   #4

normcar there are some great shots here. Nice job!

I particularly like the heron shot with the creamy green water background. Seems to create a 3d effect the the bird jumps off the page. I find the reflection a little distracting in that shot however and would like to see it with the bottom cropped out, probably just me. I really love that shot!!!

The other one I really like is the last one where the bird is defying gravity. Very nice pose and photo.

So tell us more about you new camera, seems to really take some nice shots in your hands.

Did you get any other Kingfisher shots. That is such a cool looking bird. Also would like to see some more of the heron shots with that creamy green water background if you have any and are so inclined to post some more. Good stuff!!!

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:02 AM   #5

nice shots norm! i love the first chickedee shot! just great!

that kingfisher is an awesome bird isn't it? i used to "bird watch" with my friend....and i would always want to see a kingfisher...they look so cool.....nice action in that shot

love the great blue heron flight shot...i love the wing shape!

i'm glad to hear you're thinking about that eye challenge....

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:15 AM   #6

Nice shots Normcar. I liked the big-eyed cuties coz I haven't seen that bird before.

Your 1DMk2 was be real awesom for flight shots. I heard its got buffer to store 40 jpegs or 20 RAW. That sure would come handy. I am filling my 9 RAW shot buffer quite a lot these days and my cam is slow to write to the CF card.

Regarding your comment about smaller image size, I think you can just use a bit higher jpeg compression for bigger size. Sometimes you don't see the detail in smaller size shots. They are ok for ID purposes if that's the goal.

You have $5000 cam, now you should order some high speed connection also. It is worth it, IMHO.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:46 PM   #7

You just don't order a faster connection where I am, bobby. Believe me, if I could get a faster connection I'd have it.

Thanks all for your comments.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:02 PM   #8

that's wat i figured...my aunt and uncle live in a deep wooded area in PA....i'm guessing the same deal as you...they get electricity and telephone..but haven't gotten cable lines out there yet..

am i right?

it's worth the photography opportunities to live out there....

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 3:36 PM   #9

Normcar escribió:
Quote:
Cute Duckie and reflection (cut off at the head just for fun)

Every time i see a duck in this angle... i remember Donald or Daffy... :whack:
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote