Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 23, 2004, 12:43 AM   #1

Here are a few rodents I encountered in the mountains this summer.

This rodent was the king of the mountains, tiny in stature but huge in cuteness. So he is my first post in this group

This one met us on the ground

Another grounder (a real small and cute one)

Last one for now

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2004, 1:00 AM   #2

I love all of these Norm but the last one is the winner in my book because of the cute, wet bedraggled look of that ground squirrel. Had he gone for an unintentional swim or was he just wet from dew on the grasses?

The first and last photos are absolutely tack sharp!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 1:12 AM   #3

Quote:
The first and last photos are absolutely tack sharp!

Those are Rebel photos, just so you know. The "Duckie" photos are Mark II.Here's another Mark II Duckie up close. The color saturation and quality is what I like the most, as well as the extreme fastness of the camera of course. It's heavy though, and not easy to carry around. I think that both cameras are great but the Mark II is to the Rebel like the Rebel is to the FZ10. The quality and extreme difference comes in the color saturation and ISO ability. The rest can be processed after the fact. To me all of the above acceptable Rebel photos have a reasonable quality but less so than the last one. They seem somewhat contrived and hollow whereas the latter one seems deeper, more expansive, without so many blown out and out-of-control areas of exposure. It may just be my imagination. It's like the difference between corner store sugaries and deep dark dynamic chocolat. But, again, it may just be my imagination.

PS - That's the essential difference I'd say. The focus seems to be on sharp, sharp, sharp, and nothing else. If something is sharp, then it's good. Certainly sharp is good, but that's only part of the whole. I think that's the major problem with smaller sensors. They just can't pick up the depth and saturation. The Mark II isn't a full sized sensor and I'm losing zoom with it, that's for sure. I only wish that I was losing just a bit more zoom in order to gain a full 35mm sensor capacity. My experience and past has been in the audio recording industry. I know the difference between 1/4 inch tape analog and 1/2 inch and 1 inch. The wider the size of tape the more quality of low end especially. Depth. Same thing here.It all boils down to the same thing, you get what you pay for.

My FZ10 is sharper than both Mark II and Rebel, out of the gate. But that's where the race ends.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 6:43 AM   #4

wow

the #1 and the last, beautiful colors, great pics.
chris doudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:28 AM   #5

I love that first shot, and he is so cute.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:40 AM   #6

wooow..that duck head shot is just gorgeous....i see the "depth" you're talking about... it's a beautiful shot...with the small changes in color on the feathers...and the "plastic" look of the beak

i really like the first one too....good pose, very sharp, nice composition, i like the addition of the stump too....

wow...look at the nails of the squirrel in the second one! lol..

the third one is a little soft (by a little...i mean A VERY little), but i like the "different" composition...not sure if the broken rule is a good one though (the animal facing a close edge)...

the4th one is very nice too...i, like geoff, like the "wet, bedraggled" look of squirrel in that shot....

very nice series

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote