Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:10 PM   #1

Hi,

I don't usually post any messages in this forum, only reading. Recently I saw some Heron picturesso I would like to leave my contribution to this board.

Here it is, I hope you like it.

Fabio.

fabiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:16 PM   #2

Very nice!

Really like the colors in the face and the detail around the eye.

Thanks for sharing your picture.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:12 PM   #3

Fabiod, that's a wonderful shot of the heron - great detail in the white plumage and what a beautiful green color at the base of the bill and the lores. Do you know what the name of this type of heron is?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:59 PM   #4

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Fabiod, that's a wonderful shot of the heron - great detail in the white plumage and what a beautiful green color at the base of the bill and the lores. Do you know what the name of this type of heron is?
Not a Heron, but the Great Egret. The green lores show that it is in breeding season. The green will return to yellow at the end of the season.

This is a magnificent capture! Thank You for sharing.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:27 PM   #5

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
I only know the general name in portuguese, so I looked in a dictionay for the translation and found Heron. I suppose it is wrong, according toTsiya. However, I've heard that Herons and Egrets are the same??!!.

Fabio.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:42 PM   #6

tsiya wrote:
Quote:
Not a Heron, but the Great Egret. The green lores show that it is in breeding season. The green will return to yellow at the end of the season.
Yep. Thanks for that elaboration tsiya - very helpful. My North American bird knowledge is very substantial but when it comes to birds in other parts of the world I'd rather defer to those who know the species in those areas...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:47 PM   #7

fabiod wrote:
Quote:
geoffs wrote:
Quote:
I only know the general name in portuguese, so I looked in a dictionay for the translation and found Heron. I suppose it is wrong, according toTsiya. However, I've heard that Herons and Egrets are the same??!!.

Fabio.
Iam often confused, as well.The difference is up to the biologists, I use this as a reference.http://bdi.org/Birdkey/BirdFrameset.cfm The more I learn about the creatures, the more I want to know. tsiya is no authority, just someone trying to learn! I know I am often too blunt in My speech, I never go out to offend, however. I suppose it is the way You get to be, when You get old. In Cherokee, tsi ya is the" Otter". I am somewhat Cherokee, and live in the swamplands, these creatures are My Friends and neighbors, I could never hope for better, than to know them well.

Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:59 PM   #8

Tsiya, don't worry. I did not get offended and certainly did not want to offend anyone, sorry if I did. English is not my native language, although I lived in Iowa for half an year, so sometimes I may sound a little rough

I saw a bit of your colletion and it seems you are really into nature. Take a look at mine, http://www.fabioduarte.fotopic.net and you will see some birds from Brazil under the Nature's collection. I hope you like it.

Regards,

Fabio.

By the way, I have no idea if Herons and Egrets are the same :-):-):-)I just heard that in another forum.

Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:30 PM   #9

For what it's worth this is a juvenile Snowy Egret. Breeding Snowny Egrets have yellow (not green) Lore.

As a side note, there are actually white herons, so this being an egret wasn't an obvious thing. The Little Blue Heron has a white phase when it's juvinial and it really does look like an egret... completely white. Then it molts in spots all over (looks silly I bet) and turns blue.

And that is a lovely picture. Please don't hesitate to post other shots. If they are even near this quality I'm sure we'll all be very happy to look at them.

You got the exposure right on, which is not easy with a white bird.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:32 PM   #10

Fabio , You are My Brother, You see where the true beauty of all that is around us is! I have Your gallery on My list of places to visit often!