Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 26, 2004, 6:16 PM   #1

Not very long out of the nest, the composition stinks, but when I saw the fire from that eye in the view screen, I pushed the button! Sometimes You have to let impulse run loose.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/
Attached Images

tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:47 PM   #2

You certainly were right to let impulse get the better of you - capturing that youngster with those deep red eyes is great!

What camera did you capture this image with? ...and what were the exposure details? I'm just wondering because theres a bit of what is either noise or jpeg compression artifacts visible in the water areas.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:03 PM   #3

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
You certainly were right to let impulse get the better of you - capturing that youngster with those deep red eyes is great!

What camera did you capture this image with? ...and what were the exposure details? I'm just wondering because theres a bit of what is either noise or jpeg compression artifacts visible in the water areas.
This is from the Oly C4000Z, and the Crystal Optics 2x TC. I always use a circular PL near the water. I started out with a hacked copy of Paint Shop Pro, nice software, but it wiped out EXIF, all My recent pics are from PhotoShop, although an older version. Are You set up to click for EXIF? If You would like I can post it in the text. I try to keep it encoded in the image, so I can go back for reference. If anyone needs links for free EXIF reading software. let Me know, I will dig around and find them.

ExposureTime : 1/500Sec
FNumber : F2.8
ExposureProgram : Program Normal
ISOSpeedRatings : 100
ExifVersion : 0220
DateTimeOriginal : 2004:08:09 14:26:26
ExposureBiasValue : EV-0.7
MaxApertureValue : F2.8
MeteringMode : Spot
LightSource : Unidentified
Flash : Not fired(Compulsory)
FocalLength : 19.10(mm)

Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:21 PM   #4

I found it, try it, You will love it. Best learning tool there is, thank You Joe!

http://ak.no-ip.com/EXIF/

Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:32 PM   #5

Very nice IE exif tool, tsiya. Thanks!

I don't see anything in your exposure info which should cause a lot of noise so I'm going to assume that the clumpiness I see in the water is from jpeg compression...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:52 PM   #6

C4000Z starts out as 11.2 MB tiff file, I don't worry so much about the BG stuff, as I could. My thing is making You smell the fish on it's breath. Anything I submit will be compressed so much it hurts Me. Can't change that! Little bit of noise never hurt anyone. You are giving Me reason to go out every morning, and look for more things, I thank You for that, more than You know.

Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:39 PM   #7

This photograph is okay. I have a different style than you so mycritique may be taken wrong. I'm not criticizing your work, only commenting in relation to what my personal tastes are:

- color/contrastare very high, too high for my tastes

- aperture is stopped down so much that everything is in focus, which distracts from the main subject, which is the bird

Quote:
My thing is making You smell the fish on it's breath.
I can smell something, definitely, but I'm not sure it's fish

Otherwise, nice photo

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:28 AM   #8

I have never seen one of these birds before.

Excuse me for being a bit dumb, but is your Camera,Oly C4000Z an SLR digital or a prosumer model????
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:31 AM   #9

tsyia - I am seeing this bird for the first time so thanks for posting.

Normcar - Everything is in focus coz of the bigger DOF of the p&s cameras. I have hard time getting shallow DOF at f2.8 with my FZ1 at 420mm.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 3:50 PM   #10

Thanks, Bobby. No one could be less happy about the recent misunderstandings I had a part in causing, I am truly sorry. I really very much look forward to making Friends anytime I can, can't ever have enough of Them, for sure.

I "read" the "wrong" tone into a post, Someone "read" the "wrong" tone into My reply, and everything just went downhill from there. I am a Grouchy Old Man, sometimes I just can't help it.

C4000Z is "prosumer" I suppose, but has some pretty good input options, lots of control available. Usually, however, it is smarter than I am to begin with. I have a DSLR, the C2500L, a fairly capable little camera, but by the time I get it set, the subject is likely gone away.

My wildlife photos are a record for My Grandson, of what is falling under the bulldozers. I never try to be artistic, just record what I see. If it is pleasing aesthetically as well, that is a bonus. Last thing I am likely to consider when I am sneaking up on something is blurring the BG. I can do it, I just don't. I love the fine things I see that so many of You present. A lot of love and talent shows in Your work. I put more love into Mine than talent, that is for sure.

Riding into town today, I got to thinking about colors, and saturation, and I took a hard look at what was all around Me. Under the Florida Sun, saturated colors prevailed, not a lot of subdued stuff jumping out at Me. I keep this monitor set so things look as much as possible like I recall them, no science, I just try to really remember. Could be I am adjusted different on this monitor, everything looks like I remember it here.

At any rate, to all offended, I am truly sorry, Take care.