Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:10 PM   #11

Super Geoff, go for the 20D, get use to it and eventually you'll be able to get a Bigma, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the comments
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:18 PM   #12

i see.....1/125 is a lot faster in my area of photography than in yours, i guess

lol, i'm more still life, landscape.....but i'd like to do wildlife....but i'm lacking in some equipment right now...i'm not sure i would be, if my shutter would go higher at f2.0....or even f2.2 or f2.8....oh well :-\

thanks for your reply

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:42 PM   #13

Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:
The upcoming 20D from Canon will have less noise at ISO800 and ISO1600than a 10D/300D, Canon are working this issue very well. I have plans to buy one by November.
Eric, you and I will be comparing notes about the 20D then. This is going to be very interesting (and fun)!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:48 AM   #14

Nice shots Eric.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:30 AM   #15

Thanks Bobbyz

Geoff, sure will fun to do some comparo test. I know what I will be expecting with the camera, I dont think I'll have a big jump in image quality, not for the web at least. Those extra 2 MP will show on larger prints. It's more about lower noise at higher ISO (not that the 300D/10D is not good, far from it), just the 20D is doing better. It's more about the much improve AF , better AI servo and 9 point AF, I'm after

Also the viewfinder is suppose to be more crisp and clear, this will be a big help for Macro stuff

Cheers
Old Aug 31, 2004, 9:05 AM   #16

Eric, I read that the 20D viewfinder is actually a bit dimmer than the 10D viewfinder. However, I also read that the viewfinder provides a clearer image due to the fact that Canonchanged the finish on the viewfinder (but that the finish compromised the brightness a bit).

Also, how do you believe that the 9-point focusing is going to really improve things? I'm still a bit unclear as to the real benefit of that feature. Maybe it helps while tracking a moving object, but doesn't it increase the chance that the camera might focus on an unintended element in a static scene?
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:10 PM   #17

Geoff, its more about the fact that the AF is not in the same class as the 300D/10D, much much faster. So if you pan on a bird, the 9 point AF will have better ability to follow in AF AI mode. I wish we could choose how many AF point we want. The way it works is, it's either one of the 9 point, or all of them. Wish we could have an intermediate setting of 5 point, which makes the diamond shape around the center one.

In any case, we'll see how it goes when we have the camera

Cheers
Old Aug 31, 2004, 7:03 PM   #18

Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:
I wish we could choose how many AF point we want. The way it works is, it's either one of the 9 point, or all of them. Wish we could have an intermediate setting of 5 point, which makes the diamond shape around the center one.
And wouldn't it also be nice if some Russian hacker figures out a way to provide hacked firmware providing just such a capability? Sort of like the hacked firmware for the DRebel...
Old Sep 2, 2004, 6:54 AM   #19

Yes Geoff, don't think its feasible though. What the Russian hacker did on the DRebel was to 'reveal' codes that were there in the firmware, but not activated. Don't think he'll be able to activate something that's not even written in the firmware. I'm not sure, but that intermediate AF point feature does not exist even on top end camera like a 1D Mark II.

Cheers
Old Sep 2, 2004, 9:18 AM   #20

It's probably also the case that Canon is going to be extra careful to make sure that the 20D firmware is not open to hacking as the DRebel's was. They just don't want the support nightmare that could arise from that situation.