Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:27 PM   #1

The studio is a tree, the model is Blue Jays. They've posed the way I wanted them to pose, very cooperative indeed.

This one has a nice pose, but I told him, move a little in the open...

'Like this?' he asked, I said almost...

I said, move a bit more...

'Like this?' Yes that's nice I said... but move the other branch on the left...

'Like this?' Yes, beautiful...

Now, stand tall, and do a nice profile of you...

Yes ! Lovely... Thank you I told him

All shots were taken at ISO800, was ovecast and I used the 420 EX for fill flash, that's the first time I'm trying this on birds Focal lenght was 400mm with the Bigma.

Cheers everyone , comments are welcomed

Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:39 PM   #2

beautiful...

i love the conversation you had with the bird too

could you teach me some bird talk? how do you say, "don't fly away!!! nooooooo" in bird?

lol

beautiful shots....sharp as usual...

the flash works well on certain days..but i don't think you should use it unless you need it...it gives it a "fake" look....well..not fake...but it gives it the flash look...

and you seem to have had plenty of success without it :-D

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:41 PM   #3

Hehe Vito, I had no choice today. I metered the scene on the brightest objects and I had an astonishing 1/125 sec at ISO800 to play with, ouch !

It was simply too overcast, the clouds were low and thick.

Cheers!
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:42 PM   #4

as always, great shots, I like the fourth one the best. Such a pretty bird.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:43 PM   #5

oh, i didn't say it was bad...but i think they look just a little bit better without the flash...

lol, overcast, good for some things in photography...bad for others...

wow...1/250 and iso800? wat arperture?

Vito
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:46 PM   #6

1/125 at F/8,I never go wider than F/8, it's the sweetspot of the lens. Even then at 25 feet, I would kill the DOF if lets say I could do F/5.6.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:52 PM   #7

oh ok....so good DOF at f8.0?

i'm guessing it's different DOF/aperture stuff than my camera (old high end consumer....Canon G2) because of the small lens...and f8.0 being my smallest arperture..

ok, i have a question...

when you are closer, you use less zoom, so it's more DOF right? so that's why you can stop down(or up watever going to a lower number is lol) to f5.6?

i'd love to take shots like this....and i have a good subject, but i need ALOT of help....and my camera isn't the best for this....ISO 100 is noisy ISO 50..is all that works :-\ and i can't go to 1/1000 without using f8.0 (i'd need a BRIGHT day for that one...) and i can't go to 1/640 without being up by f5.6....whichwould be perfectly fine on a bright day, if i could use a higher ISO....oh yeah..by saying i can't go to 1/000 without being on f8.0...i mean...the camera won't let me set it like that...and it isn't a mistake in production or something, because it says it in the manual...lol

Vito
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:54 PM   #8

You know, Eric, any one of these shots would make great wall hangars!

I miss Blue Jays so much - having lived in Oregon for 20 years now where there are no Blue Jays (Scrub Jays, Steller's Jays, yes, but no Blue Jays) seeing these pictures reminds me of how neat looking they are. They're noisy and kind of rambunctious but really great looking.

You have exposed these perfectly to show up all the detail in the lighter plumage. I have to love that Bigma and plan to buy one in the next 4 or 5 months (after I've had time to play with the new 20D I'll be getting at end of September).
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:00 PM   #9

geoffs....i have bluejays by my house...and our old cat, use to jump up and hang on the screen door, and the bluejay used to (i didn't see one this year ) have a nest in the motion lights on my house...and it used to squawk and divebomb the cat on the screen....it was hilarious...you could tell, from anywhere in the house, when the cat jumped on the screen...because you could hear it...

i had some shots...but they were with my crap...i mean...old camera....film..i dunno where the prints are...if i find them, i'll scan and post them...

Vito
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:09 PM   #10

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
oh ok....so good DOF at f8.0?

i'm guessing it's different DOF/aperture stuff than my camera (old high end consumer....Canon G2) because of the small lens...and f8.0 being my smallest arperture..

ok, i have a question...

when you are closer, you use less zoom, so it's more DOF right? so that's why you can stop down(or up watever going to a lower number is lol) to f5.6?

i'd love to take shots like this....and i have a good subject, but i need ALOT of help....and my camera isn't the best for this....ISO 100 is noisy ISO 50..is all that works :- and i can't go to 1/1000 without using f8.0 (i'd need a BRIGHT day for that one...) and i can't go to 1/640 without being up by f5.6....whichwould be perfectly fine on a bright day, if i could use a higher ISO....oh yeah..by saying i can't go to 1/000 without being on f8.0...i mean...the camera won't let me set it like that...and it isn't a mistake in production or something, because it says it in the manual...lol

Vito

Vito, with this particular lens, I would zoom less if I need it. Actually I was at 400mm, instead of 500mm coz the bird was simply over-filling the frame at 500mm. This was taken at 25 feet.

Remember, the DOF being different between your camera and mine comes fromthe fact that my sensor is bigger. A35mm camera would show even less DOF with the same setting.A Medium format, even less. MostP&S camera have very small sensor,so DOF is not a problem even with a built-in telephoto lens.

This camera is doingnicely at ISO800, as long as its well exposed, look at the 100% crop of the squirrel shot (last image), you'll see nasty noise since it was underexposed and I had to bring it up in PS. So noise is nasty there.

The upcoming 20D from Canon will have less noise at ISO800 and ISO1600than a 10D/300D, Canon are working this issue very well. I have plans to buy one by November.

The only problemwith this shot was, at 1/125 sec, even with a tripod, there's wind, branches are moving, birds are moving. Soit would lead to a blurred shot. So Iusedaflash @1/400 - 1/500sec to help me out there.

Cheers