Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:34 PM   #1

This is the story of a funny family of Black Squirrel.

It all started here, proud mom she is (many seen this b4) :

This was taken in April, then she became pregnant, many months later the backyard was invaded by the 3 offspring, I believe they are 2 brothers and a sister. The most accrobatic is actually the female, she's simply hilarious to watch. If she's surprised, she'll jump at the same spot while making all sorts of spins. I've seen her practicing her skill by running as fast as she could, then jump on a rock to bounce on it at another spot.

This is one of the brother, the most shy of them all :

Shy but smart, he's the first one that figured out by bringing 2 shelled peanuts means less trip to bring them to its favorite hide-out.

Then, we have the female, as usual doing all sorts of funny thing...

'Think I'll rest right here' -

Then we have the other brother...

"Look !, I'm Squirrel Universe ! Look how strong I am !

To conclude, seems now they don't remember being brothers and sisters, they start to chase each other... Unless they do this for the fun of it.

100% crop of the shot above :

What do you see ??

Look again :

Discard the fact that this 100% crop shows that I didn't focus on the eyes or the head, nor the fact that we see noise in the background (ISO800, underexposed). Actually I did well by focusing on the bottom part where it shows...

I'll let find out, amazing uhh ?

Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:44 PM   #2

Well, Eric CAN, good to see you back and posting here! This is a very interesting photo series. You sure did get intimate with that family of black squirrels! Plus, the poses along with your narration made me laugh!

Were some of these taken at night, or near dark? Some look they might have been and it also looks like you used fill flash?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:48 PM   #3

Howdy Geoff

Fill flash for sure, again it was in the shade and it was overcast

Yes, I like to put some humoristic comments in stories.

Good to see you too

Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:05 PM   #4

wow....does that squirrel have a thumb?

lol!

that first shot is fabulous! i love the reflections in her eyes...btw..is that you in the reflection? i'm doubting it...because it looks like it's very close to the eye...but you never know...

beautiful shots

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:21 PM   #5

Yep, they have mini-thumb indeed, just like out ours ! LOL

The reflection you see in the first one is .. me inside a hunters blind (I don't hunt), I use this at home. So birds are not even aware of my presence, or at least are not affraid since they don't see me moving. On the other hand squirrel being mammals will smell you way before they see you, so they know you're there, LOL

Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:24 PM   #6

oh ok..i see you now....

i saw that tan and brown reflection on the far right lower part of the eye...it looks like your face...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:37 PM   #7

I love the way the squirrels' thumbs also have the little thumbnail :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:33 AM   #8

Eric.

Excellent shots. OMG!! One can almost feel thier fur under your hand. The closeness and the detail was astounding. I viewed your bluejay shots yesterday, but did not have time to comment on them at the time. Another fine series. You must have excellent equipment, and or a tremendous amount of patience.

SternSteve121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:48 PM   #9

Hehe Geoff, thats what struck me. The very similitude of our thumb nails and them.

Cheers
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:51 PM   #10

SternSteve121 wrote:
Quote:
Eric.

Excellent shots. OMG!! One can almost feel thier fur under your hand. The closeness and the detail was astounding. I viewed your bluejay shots yesterday, but did not have time to comment on them at the time. Another fine series. You must have excellent equipment, and or a tremendous amount of patience.

Thanks Steve, for the equipment, there's nothing outstanding, some members here have much more expensive and better quality stuff than me. Patience is something we learn. These are backyard shots, its easier , much easier. In the wild its a different story, you can keep hiding next to a tree for quite some times waiting for an elusive moment of a bird passing by. You devellop all sorts of tricks to get close to them.

Cheers