Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 7, 2004, 5:43 AM   #1

This is my first try at photography under controlled lighting... Just a desklamp though Any feedback muchly appreciated

EDIT: fixed the photo up a bit more so I've changed it again
Attached Images

hackphotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2004, 7:54 PM   #2

I like how the stark shadow of his antennae work :-)

Unfortunately, it wasn't preserved in the rest of the shell shadow and it fades taking away from the otherwise cool shadow (bouncing off something perhaps?).

It seems a tad overexposed around the edges for my liking, and the shadow on his shell itself hides the nice coloration (though hard to get cool shadows and full detail).

Overall, a LOT better than my first controlled lighting attempts :-)
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:53 PM   #3

Thanks heaps for the comments... Doesn't seem like anyone else is very interested. Maybe I need a better title! Here's another one....
Attached Images

hackphotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 4:40 AM   #4

I like the second one better - less hidden in shadows, even if the shadows for the antannae aren't as cool as the first one.

Were you using a flash in addition to the desklamp on this one? It looks like there's 2 distinct levels of shadow here. It could just be bouncing off a wall.

The overexposure on the edges is not present either!

These forums don't tend to be "instant feedback", but nearly everyone is very nice and helpful once you do get em talking :-) Specific questions will probably get a better response than a "what do you think" type of question. Also, if you can provide a picture of your "studio", people seem to dig this - they can get ideas for their own, and maybe offer suggestions on how they tackled similar problems or see why you're getting a particular effect (desirable or not). Not many of us have expensive setups, and are always on the lookout for ways to do stuff on the cheap

-Seth
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote