Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:38 AM   #1

why do these darn birds always look "goofy" when your trying to take thier pic's

feedback needed, cause i really like this one, think i'm getting better at this game
Attached Images

picnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:43 AM   #2

sorry to post twice but gonna give you reasons why and equipment used

its a nice clear sharp pic on the bird with a out of focus background which i think add's to the pic

Plus he/she or "it" (dunno really) was such a photogenic subject

Camera : my lil S3000 on fully auto

Raynox 1850 pro telephoto lens on bout halfway

Ok enjoy

Grant
ps i'll throw some more up as soon as i have resized them and when sarah goes back to oregon
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:15 AM   #3

Hi picnet. This is a beautifully detailed and sharp photo and well-exposed too. However, it feels to me as though the bird was prematurely cut off at bottom. For a head shot, I'd like to see a tighter crop so the bird's head fills most of the image. Otherwise, I'd like to see a bit more of the bird.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:40 AM   #4

Picnet, just to be clear... how serious do you want the comments to be? I can be very serious if requested (as I have been on occasion.) It sounds like that is what you want, but I want to be sure.

Thanks for the details about your equipment, that actually makes a different. Many of the Raynox teleconverters I've seen are not very good (a polite way of saying not worth the money) but maybe their "pro"models are better (or maybe they just put that word in there to make it seem like it should be better.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 3:47 PM   #5

geoffs and eric, well the comments can be as harsh as they like, If it helps me take better pictures then i'm very open for kick ass comments, as for the head shot it was taken in a zoo with a fence surrounding so i was trying to achieve the "natural look" i'll post another of the entire closure to give you guys a idea of what the surroundings where like, but i thought the enclosure was "butt ugly"

and up close and personal these birds are bout 9 feet tall when stretched up.....haha i'm only 5' bloody 9 !

but i appreciate your reply's

Grant
Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2004, 4:04 PM   #6

Grant, I'm only 5'9" tall too so I'm in the same boat you :roll:

Yeah, I see what you mean by the enclosure - not exactly built to a photographer's specifications, is it...

I guess you made the best of a mediocre situation!
Old Sep 8, 2004, 7:18 PM   #7

thanx geoffss, appreciate the comment

Grant
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:53 PM   #8

I actually like the shot and think it's fairly good. Since I'm in a good mood, I'll start there.

The exposure is well done.
The expression is good (although I think it's a normal one for them as I've seen it before.)
The focus and sharpness are right on.

I'm not really a fan of the angle of the shot, but as you point out there is little you could do about it. I'm only 5'7" (5'8" on a good day) so I couldn't have gotten higher either. But I think it would have made a difference.
I wonder if a more vertical portrate shoot would have been better. I though that originally, but now I'm not so sure. Would showing more neck really have added any thing?

So keep it up, it's a good one.

Eric
Old Sep 8, 2004, 10:07 PM   #9

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Would showing more neck really have added any thing?
No, I don't think showing more neck would have helped - it would have just looked strange. Showing more would only have helped if some shoulders and perhaps body were also included.

Using my cheap, but very effective, IE crop tool I seem to arrive at a crop which looks best if the LHS is chopped off so that it is balanced with the RHS and perhaps 50% is cropped from the empty space at top.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:10 AM   #10

Ah, make it much more like a human portrate (which really concentrates on the face.) Let me whip out my cheap & easy croping tool....

Ya, I could see that. I might have enlarge the picture a little bit. It might mess up the fine detail but (to me) that style of picture wants to be a bit bigger.

Eric