Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 21, 2004, 5:12 AM   #11

Ah, I thought they were goin to send a hit squad after Me last time! I've always been outside more than not, and live where it is not uncommon to have many species in the yard at once, and now that I'm retired I spend more time with birds than People. It has become more a way of life than a hobby, but sure is better than growing old in front of a TV.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 6:49 AM   #12

Hi Tsiya, the Non-breeding Great White Egret [which SA has now changed the name to Great Egret] has a yellow bill, the Breeding bird has a black bill with a bit of yellow on the bill at the eyes. The Snowy egret does not occur in South Africa, although what they call the Little egret also has a black bill as in the above pic, butno yellow at the bill at alland also has yellow feet.

I'm glad that someone has woken up here [in SA] and begun to internationalise the names of birds, to avoid confusion, although it is going to take a bit of time to get used to the different names. Thanks for the input

Regards

Jake
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 7:06 AM   #13

I would look for the lores to be lime green in breeding season. I did find one of My shots that shows darkening of the upper beak with green lores, but the lower is yet yellow. I suspect some regional variations are at work. Do the lores change in Your birds as well?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 7:28 AM   #14

tsiya, i ve visited your gallery and its great! i see what you mean when you say you are outside more time than not. Good job, well done!
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:33 PM   #15

Hi there;

It may be a snowy egret, but it's a great shot!

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:45 PM   #16

Hi tsiya

Uncropped image for comparison of Ardea alba prev Egretta alba. The lores change from olive green to emerald green in breeding season.

Btw some gr8 pics in your gallery, have seen a few docsabout Floridaon National Geographic, Animal Planet etc. and since I've got a big interest in astronomy,Florida is a must see one of these days. Thanx for the advice. I seem to have blown little bits of the exp on a lot of my white bird photos. Going back to the Kruger this weekend, will see if I can do better.

I'll be posting a photo of our Little Egret (Egretta garzetta).
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:27 PM   #17

You're on the moneyy I think, but I've never seen the beak so completely dark. There always seems to be a lot of orange /yellow retained in breeding plumage in the locals. One thing sure, the bird books need to come to us for photos, there is stuff in print that is terrible! I have seen one here that I believe to be an Intermediate Egret, one of the ways to tell is supposed to be the area of Lore behind the eye, but the local Great Egrets have very little of that. Further South, maybe here occassionally, You get the Wurdemanns Heron, and white morphs of the Great Blue Heron, sounds like some romantic hanky panky going on there! We have all kinds of immatures around now, still trying to sort them out! Been chasing a couple of Eagles lately, figuring out how to use a new TC lens best, little C720UZ does fair, but I need something with manual focus.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Bahamut, do You have EXIFREAD? Free download, helps Me find out how Folks get great shots, so I can try it too! Reason I asked was unless I set the ISO and then turn of reset, My cameras will go back to auto ISO. I will think I'm shooting at 100, get home and find a bunch of noisey stuff. I have to run My little cameras hard, on a retiree budget they just have to do the job!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"BTW I keep GPS coords on file, anyone coming this way, I can tell You where the birds are likely to be!
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:28 PM   #18

I use ACDSee 5.0, itgives the sameinfo.

Something strange happened to this post though. I checked the original and the settings is as given above but the edited photoshop 7.0 version shows an exp of 1/1000s etc. Tried to recreate this with no success, wonder what happened. Will be keeping an eye out in the event it happens again.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 3:13 PM   #19

:idea:Ha, found the prob. I was just replacing the image layer in a psd file to keep my text layers. That does not replace the exif data but keeps the original info.