Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:52 PM   #11

The 50-500 is weighted real nice and I have no problem carrying it around like I did today for 4 hours straight, resting it across my arms until it's time to shoot. I've been using it now for many months and thousands of photos so I think that carrying it sort of becomes second nature as well.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"PS - it only starts to get heavy when the birds hide for long periods of time. That gives me time to think about what I'm carrying.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 1:01 AM   #12

can you hand hold it full zoom?? I get people telling me I should be using a tripod with my 300m lens on full zoom but Ive gotton clear shots from it hand held. I need a tripod on macro setting with it and thats all. I guess some people are more steady handed than others.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:05 PM   #13

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
can you hand hold it full zoom?? I get people telling me I should be using a tripod with my 300m lens on full zoom but Ive gotton clear shots from it hand held. I need a tripod on macro setting with it and thats all. I guess some people are more steady handed than others.:-)
The simple formula is 1/focal length for the shutter speed so it is not tought to hand hold 500mm as long as light is good. It is a heavy lens so may get tiringfor folks like me. No-a-days, I am shooting my 100-400 hand held for more than 1/2 a day without the IS, so hand holding 300mm should not be any problem. Just check your shutter speed at 300mm and boost the ISO to keep it at or above 1/500.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:05 PM   #14

WOW!!!. The best squirrel shots I have seen in a long while. I think adding the fill-flash did the trick. I need to buy one.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:13 PM   #15

Thanks bobby, the fill flash was definitely an asset in this situation; I wanted to make sure those red berries stood out. And the squirrel hung around long enough for me to play with some exposures.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote