Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:58 AM   #11

great shots, I like the reflection one. Looks as if you are enjoying your new camera. I just realized that Ive had my Drebel for coming up three months and Ive taken about 4700 Photos with it:!:as opposed to my G3 that I purchased in Nov 03 and have yet to hit the 2000th photo. I cant work it out as I went silly with the G3 when I first got it. Could be something to do with the fact that I shoot at leastfour of each photo I take:-)with the Drebel.

<<<<<<<Hey there, Vito. First, let me ask if you have been having trouble with Steve's website loading since yesterday? With my connection, this site takes ages to load ever since yesterday afternoon and some pages even timeout. I haven't been having problems with any other site I visit.>>>>>>>>>>>>

I could not get into digicams at all yesterday and I was wondering if it had anything to do with the Florida hurricane being as thats where Steve is (I think from memory). Hope he is Ok:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:36 AM   #12

You don't mention any post processing, so I will assume there is none.

The noise looks to be ok, but one would expect that at 200ISO. I think the the water color makes the noise stand out a bit more, but I'm not worrying about it.

The "softness" is not surprising. It looks like it would sharpen up really well... so I wouldn't worry about that.

You talked about trying AI focus. At least on the 10D, that isn't a recommended mode for non-moving things (and, personally, I don't recommend it at all.) It has the habit of deciding the object is moving (maybe because you did, or a tree branch blew in the wind and touched an AF point) and it will try to adjust the focus a bit and can throw things off. Bascially, it's going to try to guess between one shot and AF servo. And if it guesses wrong, you loose the shot. Not good.

On the 10D, I would recommend using automatic AF point selection when using AF Servo. It focuses using the main AF point and then uses all of them to track the subject. No, personally I use the center point because I don't have time to switch to automatic. I'm generally happy with manual center point but then again I don't try to track swifts in flight.

I bet you'll find that Av is the most useful mode, but P is handy when using flash. Read carefully how the flash works in different modes. I find this a bit confusing and I forget it... probably because I don't use flash often enough.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 4:58 PM   #13

Thanks for peeking in, Eric.

Do you really see noise? I don't notice any, even in the water at 2x or 3x magnification in PS. The one which I thought might have shown noise was the last of the rainbowfish but I determined that that wasn't really noise but the very slight film of algae growing on the inside of the glass of the aquarium, accentuated by the flash.

As to softness, I think alot of what looks to be not spot on focusing might really be that. Newbie me really hasn't got control of the camera yet and had it set to the AI Focus mode and focus in many shots wasn't where I thought it would be. Thanks for the advice on how you utilize the 10D focusing modes which should be the same for the 20D.

Do you ever use the one shot focus mode? I'd figure for non-wildlife type things (landscapes, portraits, etc) that that is what you'd want to use, perhaps with just the center focus point selected.

Flash does indeed appear to be complex, much more so it seems than what I remember it being with the film slrs I used in the past. One thing I'm wondering is how you setup for fill flash with the onboard flash?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 6:24 PM   #14

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Do you ever use the one shot focus mode? I'd figure for non-wildlife type things (landscapes, portraits, etc) that that is what you'd want to use, perhaps with just the center focus point selected.
Geoffs, for stationary objects, I always use center focus point and recompose. This way I am sure where the focus would be. For lanscape, you would have stopped down the lens to get goodDOF so which point is used for focussing wouldn't matter (IMHO).
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:44 PM   #15

Thanks, Bobby, for the advice! I'm going to "move on" to the focusing selections and methods that you and Eric suggested and see how it helps my technique and results the next time I'm out shooting these ducks - probably tomorrow or Thursday.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote