Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 27, 2004, 1:35 AM   #1

I've had my 20D for less than 2 days but I've read enough of the manual to feel confident enough to go over to the local golf course and get some shots of the ducks in the ponds there. I'm moving slowly with this camera as I want to learn all of its capabilities. The pictures that I've linked to below can be improved upon greatly as I start to utilize additional features of the camera. Here's what I'm using of the features and what I'm not:

1. The shots were high resolution, low compression jpeg shots - therefore, I'm not yet utilizing raw mode as I intend to for all my shooting in the future.

2. I'm shooting in P mode instead of Av, Tv, or M mode.

3. All focus points are enabled but I've read that most of the experienced guys are just enabling the center focus point. I also used AI Focus AF mode and found that what I thought I was focusing on wasn't always what the camera really ended up focusing on, so I've got lots to learn here.

4. All shots were taken at ISO 200.

5. In-camera processing to jpeg utilized auto white balance, standard contrast, sharpen, and saturation parameters.

Because the size of the images totalled up to over a MB in size, I have just displayed 320 X whatever thumbnails below. If you click on the thumbnails you will go to the full resolution image. Each full resolution image is a 100% crop from the original 3504x2336 pixel resolution.

1/250 @ f/10, 85mm

1/250 @ f/10, 85mm

1/250 @ f/10, 85mm

1/125 @ f/7.1, 85mm

1/200 @ f/9.0, 85mm

1/200 @ f/8.0, 85mm

I just put the following one here for fun - this is the 100% crop. It's a picture of a Common Merganser that was too far away to really get a good shot. All the other ducks were mallards so this guy stuck out like a sore thumb.

1/125 @ f/6.3, 85mm

And lastly, this is not a bird at all! :-) This is a photo of an Australian Rainbowfish in my 72g aquarium at home.

1/60 @ f/5.6, 85mm, flash

I hope the above shots help those who might have an interest in the 20D. I know they are not the best, both because I don't have a long enough lens to make bird photography worthwhile and also because I have not yet mastered the capabilities of the 20D.

Geoff
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:57 AM   #2

hey geoffs! it's great to see you out shooting!

what lens was this?

these shots are quite sharp for a 100% crop! i like the composition and lighting on the third one..

that aquarium shot is impressive! no glare from lights..and it's possibly the clearest shot i've ever seen of a fish! all others had an "underwater" look to them....if that makes sense...kinda acloudy water look lol

nice shots here geoff!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:19 AM   #3

Hey there, Vito. First, let me ask if you have been having trouble with Steve's website loading since yesterday? With my connection, this site takes ages to load ever since yesterday afternoon and some pages even timeout. I haven't been having problems with any other site I visit.

Thanks for your comments on the pictures, Vito. I was using the 17-85 IS lens that came with the kit I bought. The lens seems solidly built to me (unlike the 18-55 lens in the other 20D kit - I looked at that and it very much feels like a toy in comparison). I haven't start to check for any CA or PF as has been reported by others with this lens. As you can see, with the subjects I was focused in on, I can't see any of those defects.

Yeah, this was definitely one of the better fish shots that I've taken. I've got much to learn about taking shots of aquarium fish, especially with regards to lighting!

Stay tuned for more!
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:19 AM   #4

Hi geoffs,

V. V. nice pitcrs. keep it up.

Congrts.

wildlifeiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 3:08 PM   #5

Geoffs, congrats on getting the 20D. From what I hear it is a nice upgrade from 10D for shooting birds, particularly with AI servo mode and improved focussing. On 10D, I am only using center focus point but it hard to keep 1 point on the bird for flight shots. Someone recommened using all focus points, I haven't tried but if you shooting stationary objects or slow moving, try center focus point only. That way you are in control.

On 10D, I am laways using ISO200 but on 20D, ISO400 should be no problem.

Now you need to buy a lens for birds!!!
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:35 PM   #6

yeah...yesterday and the day before steves was dragging along...

but it's fine now

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:42 PM   #7

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
yeah...yesterday and the day before steves was dragging along...

but it's fine now

vito
I was having problems as late as luch time today and I amconnected to the net on abig fat pipe.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 5:40 PM   #8

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Geoffs, congrats on getting the 20D. From what I hear it is a nice upgrade from 10D for shooting birds, particularly with AI servo mode and improved focussing. On 10D, I am only using center focus point but it hard to keep 1 point on the bird for flight shots. Someone recommened using all focus points, I haven't tried but if you shooting stationary objects or slow moving, try center focus point only. That way you are in control.

On 10D, I am laways using ISO200 but on 20D, ISO400 should be no problem.

Now you need to buy a lens for birds!!!
Thanks, Bobby! I need a lot more experimentation with the different focusing modes and the different configurations of focusing points. I think I am in agreement that for stationary or slow moving things, just use the center focus point.

The bird lens will happen, but first I've got to wait awhile to absorb this latest blow to my finances...
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:05 PM   #9

Congrats on the DSLR, geoff. Now don't drop it!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:09 PM   #10

Ach! Don't even suggest such a horrifying possibility as dropping this baby! Maybe I better make sure it's covered under my homeowner's policy...