Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:04 PM   #1

Birds are quickly disappearing up north here. Thankfully the chickadees remain and some sparrows migrate later than most.

Sparrow (peeking out, this one stays low to the ground most of the time)

Chickadees

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:34 PM   #2

oh norm! i get to see some of my favorite wildlife stuff from you soon!

i absolutely LOVE bird photos, when they have snow in them...i dunno why....but i love it...

i'll have to find the link, if you're interested, to a photographer that has a shot on his site, of a chickedee in the winter, and it was just so beautiful with the white in there..

lol..i dunno why..but...i like it

anways..onto YOUR shots...

i love the seen in it's mouth in the third one..it's great!

the poses are great in these shots!

the only thing i see...critiquively (lol...a newword added to the dictionary ) is, the first one is a bit noisy...(a bit..)..and watch the exposure on the whites....

have you tried shooting in RAW? i think that would help with this bird, then you could expose in the middle, and make a layer for whites, and a layer for darks, and merge them in PS...

great job with these norm...keep posting them

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 1:55 AM   #3

The first one is a White-Throated Sparrow, the others are Black-Capped Chickadees as you probably already know.

It's a nice headshot of the sparrow and the third picture with the chickadee is a great pose.

If there's noise in that first shot I can't see it. Vito, you must have really good eyes!

I always look for your shots, Norm, so keep them coming!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:45 AM   #4

I love these shots, they are all soooooo cute:-)We seem to have birds here all year round. We lose some but gain different ones.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 11:51 AM   #5

lol, geoff...

there is absolutely no noise in the background....

but there is on the bird itself..maybe from compression though...

Vito
Old Oct 2, 2004, 1:54 PM   #6

I'm going to let Vito off the hook. I took his advice and did some re-processing. I had "over-processed"and posted too quickly last night withouta real good critical looklast ... good ol' Vito caught it, as usual. Thanks Vito.

Not to worry, Vito, you're not going crazy :-)

Thanks for the comments, geoff. You caught these photos after the re-processing fact so Vito's critical eye was correct again. Thanks for the ident, as always.

Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:19 PM   #7

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the comments, geoff. You caught these photos after the re-processing fact so Vito's critical eye was correct again. Thanks for the ident, as always.
Phew. I thought my eyes were going bad or something! Good to know that I'm not in need of an immediate visit to the eye doctor. :roll:
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:35 PM   #8

i hope my critical eye isn't being TOO critical...

norm..tell me if i'm not going about my critiques correctly, please...

these shots are WAYYY beyond my talent, patience, and equipment...

one thing though....

even though they are inconvenient...tripods are in the top three of the most important things to keep photos sharp... ;

btw...here's the site i was talking about...

http://www.featheredfotos.com/spppag...chickadee.html

check out page two also

Vito
Old Oct 2, 2004, 8:00 PM   #9

Vito, your critiques are just fine and keep us on our toes. As for tripods, well, I'm just not a tripod-kinda-guy and will use one only if absolutely necessary, and these days that's been never. I keep it in my car, though, just to be safe.

I like to be fluid when shuffling through the jungle and a tripod is like tin cans tied to the toes of a swimmer. They'll still get to the other side of the pool but not without a whole pile of noise (cans clanging together), a whole lot of frustration, and a whole lot of just downright plain unnecessariness (hmm, is that a word?) from my personal perspective.

I'd rather be slightly soft and maintain my sanity and spontaneity. Them legs just get in the way and I lose focus. I get better pictures without the tripod because I'm focused on getting them and not in a nasty mood because of that critter called tripod.

Check out today's "cone tree" shots...can't get much sharper than that and they were all hand held.