Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:10 AM   #1

My husband took a drive this morning (at 9am)around the front of the harbor in our town and came home and told me that these seals were out on a rock and should try and get some shots of them, at 2pm I returned and hiked down the rocks to get these shots. They were still lazing around an hour later when we left. What a life they have:-)

this first shot shows them out from the mainland on that little rock, a bit hard to see in this shot but shows the area well.

here they are, they showed a little interest in us standing on the rocks trying to make enough noise to get them to look our way, they moved very little:-)

and by the look of this yawn, they are still there now at 6pm:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:40 AM   #2

Thanks for sharing your seals, Julie. They look far more restful than mine did, but then I suppose being in a different hemisphere they get their amorous urges at a different time of year.

We usually walk along the beach here around Christmas/New Year when they are up on the sand with their babies. I have a lot of shots on film, but hope this year to be able to post some digital ones.

John
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:57 AM   #3

you cant see it but in the first shot there is a walkway that goes for 10ks around the harbor and local beaches, this area has no beach and the climb down to get these shots was quite steep and can be dangerous if you dont watch your footing, I was puffed out climbing back up the hill to the car (20 minutes each way). The things I do for photos:-):!:
Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:56 AM   #4

Those last two shots are so cute, Julie!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 10:05 AM   #5

thanks, this area is where I got the shots of the honey eaters, the coastal heath has a lot of lowprickley bushes with flowers with nectar that the birds love.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 10:08 AM   #6

pjohnc wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your seals, Julie. They look far more restful than mine did, but then I suppose being in a different hemisphere they get their amorous urges at a different time of year.

We usually walk along the beach here around Christmas/New Year when they are up on the sand with their babies. I have a lot of shots on film, but hope this year to be able to post some digital ones.

John

Do you know of any websites that my hubby can post his footage from digital video on, something like these forums only for video images??? Hubby took a fair amount of film of these seals, he also likes making small digital movies.:-)
Old Oct 2, 2004, 2:01 PM   #7

No sorry, Julie, can't help you on that one.

When I said "film" I meant negs and slides, not movies. Sorry not to make myself clear. This being a DigiCam site I thought posting scanned conventional prints might be cheating
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 2:02 PM   #8

Great series of A Day on the Rock (And not Alcatraz). You caught some sweet expressions, indeed.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:21 PM   #9

pjohnc wrote:
Quote:
When I said "film" I meant negs and slides, not movies. Sorry not to make myself clear. This being a DigiCam site I thought posting scanned conventional prints might be cheating
Julie, I've posted scans of old transparencies here and nobody has objected. They are digitally processed after all...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote