Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:13 PM   #1

He can go through the corn faster than I can restock the feeder.
Attached Images

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 9:37 PM   #2

great shot, very cute, looks like he enjoys that corn.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:29 PM   #3

Nice shot Puck, can you claim another dependant on next years tax return? Is it my monitor or are you getting a lot of purple fringing on this shot?
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:04 AM   #4

GoCubs wrote:
Quote:
Is it my monitor or are you getting a lot of purple fringing on this shot?
I don't think it's purple fringing - at least I don't see it. Where do you see it on the picture?

There is,however, a fair amount of noise. I can see a lotof purple blotches all over the picture. This shot was takenon a rather dark overcast day at ISO 400 on a consumer digicam at a F/L of 380mm (35mm equiv.) and I had to use the flashso I could hand hold the camera toget a sharp shot. The added noise was the trade off I had to make to get any kind of shot under the conditions I had.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:39 AM   #5

Yep Puck, I think it was the noise I was seeing and I understand how you got it. I tried removing it, a levels adjustmentand a little unsharp mask, I hope you don't mind. I don't know if it's better or not.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:25 PM   #6

GoCubs wrote:
Quote:
I tried removing it, a levels adjustmentand a little unsharp mask, I hope you don't mind. I don't know if it's better or not.
I think your adjustment made it better.I'm not very accomplished atdigital photo editing. I did use a bit of unsharp mask,increased the saturation a bit, took out the red eye (really white or yellow eye on a squirrel) caused by the flash, and resized the 3 mp shot downthe current size for posting but most of the options in the PSP 8 program I use are still foreign to me.

Here's a question for you. What is the difference between sharpening and unsharp mask? They both seem to sharpen the pictures even though "unsharp" seems to be a misnomer.

As for minding - NO, I don't mind. I'm just a snap shooter and my pictures sure aren't works of art! :-)

Old Oct 28, 2004, 1:35 PM   #7

Hey Puck,

Why is it called unsharp, I have no idea. Always seemed bass ackwards to me too. As for the dif., I think there is more control with the USM than just sharpening the whole pic. You can choose the values, what I used on this one was amount 400, radius of 0.1 or 0.2(can't remember) and threshold of 0.Your saturation adjustment may have worked against you in this pic as it might have boosted the colors of the noise.