Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:55 AM   #1

I took these shots tonight, this is a red capped parrot and there were two of them who visited my yard tonight. It was getting dark so the quality of the shots is not great but Im just happy to have them in my area.

Look carefully and you can see another one just behind this one:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:58 AM   #2

Seems your seed bells have been an excellent investment.

Gr8 stuff.
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:42 PM   #3

nicely done alady! that's great to here!

beautiful bird too!

where are you shooting from? i think it would be a good investment to buy a small blind...that you can setup in a spot that has a clear view at the bird seed chunk thingy...

you leave the blind out for a couple days (weeks?) then you can get inside of it, and shoot from it without the birds noticing you're there (let's you get nice and close)

just an idea

nice shots

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:30 PM   #4

Congratulations, Julie. Your persistence has paid off. I like the last shot best. I'm with Vito - if you know where the birds are likely to be you can engineer some cover so that you can get close enough to get your choice of shots.

Ironically, some of lmy best bird shots have been through the drivers' side window of my car. I was getting very frustrated trying to get shots of great blue herons. I could drive up close to them but everytime I got out of my car they disappeared. I guess I had this idea that if I was doing nature shots, I should actually be in nature. Turns out the herons view humans as a danger, but just find cars an annoyance. So I just rolled down my window and started shooting.

Great work.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 1:39 AM   #5

Congrats on bagging a new bird in your backyard, Julie! Persistence and patience does pay off!!

That is one colorful bird too. Keep taking pictures of these guys...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 1:50 AM   #6

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Congrats on bagging a new bird in your backyard, Julie! Persistence and patience does pay off!!

That is one colorful bird too. Keep taking pictures of these guys...

Thanks, by the way, I took youir advice and purchased an Australian bird field guide, expensive but worth the money. Only thing is there are a couple of birds that I cant seem to find in it.:roll:
Old Nov 6, 2004, 5:22 AM   #7

Heres a couple more shots, the first is the same bird only the female variety. They dont have the beautiful red cap. The female was taken in low light again.:roll:

I managed to get a better shot of a male today, it was overcast but the light was slightly better.:-)

Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:38 AM   #8

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I took youir advice and purchased an Australian bird field guide, expensive but worth the money. Only thing is there are a couple of birds that I cant seem to find in it.
Very good, Julie! Field guides are well worth the money you pay for them. You may not want to hear this but often it pays to have 2 or 3 different ones. That's because each field guide usually shows the different species in a slightly different way, pointing out their identifying characteristics differently depending on the author. Put it all together and you get a more complete way of identifying the birds you are looking at.

Even with a field guide it is sometimes difficult to id particular birds. It may be because the bird is in non-breeding plumage and the field guide concentrated on illustrating the breeding plumage. Also, birds exhibit individual variation, just like humans, and so a specific bird may differ from what you see in the field guide.

Identifying birds in the field is not an exact science. Often, it feels more like an art. Plumage characteristics aren't everything. Field birders also look at profiles, behavior, vocalizations too!

One suggestion with the birds you are attracting to your backyard. Now that you are starting to get them understanding that there is food in your yard, you might try to gradually move the food supply closer to where you can get a clearer shot of them.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:53 AM   #9

Im working on another spot to encourage the birds to thats lower but close by. I cant really get a lot closer being as this is my front yard and the trees are right outside the front door but also backing onto neighbours propety, I can trim the branches back a little though from the area which will help.