Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:49 PM   #1

Hi;

I took this shot through a sunlit bedroom window (two-ply)that was none too clean. (see the ghosted reflections of the bird's shape) Everything in the room was brightly lit, so I added a polarizer to cut those reflections. The bird was about 8 feet away and I wanted a real close shot, so I experimented with more glass... a TCON-17 and a Hoya +1 close-up lens.

An odd combination - I can't even begin to count the layers of glass which must have come into play.I really wouldn't recommend all this glass, but I actually liked the overall results.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:58 PM   #2

pretty good considering the situation. My bedroom looks out onto where birds feed in my front yard. Im thinking of taking the fly-screen down and putting my lens through the Venetian blinds to get some shots.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:12 AM   #3

wow! GREAT sharpness!

very well done!

the best part is...about ten minutes of photoshop would solve your ghosting problems! (healing brush, and clone tool...gotta love 'em)

great job tom!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 8:57 PM   #4

Very good, indeed, Tom! I sort of like the ghosted reflection. It projects an eerie feeling to the scene.

It may only be a House Sparrow, Tom, but you did it justice in this shot!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:17 PM   #5

Thanks, folks.

I was actually looking for an opportunity to use my Hoya Close-Up set, but inside is always too dark and the filters block off my flash, so I just decided to experiment on a sunny day. I was pleased with the results, dirty windows not withstanding. I was looking for extreme magnification at an awkward focal length. This combination seemed to work. I think I broke every rule in the book, but I discovered years ago that that is often the way to learn something new. For a beginning photographer, this is the closest I can get to innovation at this time.

Thanks again. I respect you all as photographers and teachers.

Just a quick note on why I may appear so anal at times. When I was young I suffered a substantial learning disability, much to the point that I was considered "retarded" and classed with others who were deemed to have no future. My path out of this label was to learn to do things in a very methodical way, imposing stucture on my confused brain. (while still responding to my world in an impulsive way.) I'm not complaining; this just means I'm a nerd who can say "WOW!" every day. (my apologies for spouting off here)
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:05 PM   #6

hey tom, i just thought of something...

depends on wat you want to use the flash, but, you can reflect it around the lens...by use of white paper...

you'll probably have to overcompensate for the lost light in reflection but it is possible..

just stick a large sheet of white paper behind the subject...or, a piece to the side, and somehow tape a piece next to the flash to deflect it to the other piece of paper...

lol, something to think about

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:51 PM   #7

Tom, you don't seem retarded to me. Quite the opposite, in fact. The ones who are retarded are obviously the ones who thought you were... :!:
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:44 AM   #8

I also like the ghosting, I think it adds an etheral quality. Don't know how you got this with all the 'glass' you were using but am impressed with the quality of the close up. Way good job.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 6:32 AM   #9

ImKayd1 wrote:
Quote:
I also like the ghosting, I think it adds an etheral quality. Don't know how you got this with all the 'glass' you were using but am impressed with the quality of the close up. Way good job.

Suzan
I think I can answer part of this: The close-up filter dramatically shortens the focal length and the DOF, but won't reach 8 feet at high zoom. Adding the TCON17 gave me the extra focal length to fill the frame at that distance. (these birds are really small) I guess the surprising thing is that with "all the glass" I still managed to get a good shot.

Thanks to all who responded. You know how it feels to positive feedback and constructive criticism.

Cheers,

P.S. Vito, I've tried a number of experiments with the flash, but there's really no good solution other than an external flash. (local vendors don't seem to want to sell me one... they don't like the Kodak zoom cameras)