Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:21 PM   #1

Taken with the d70 and the 18-70 kit lens. Been practicing at the local duck pond in anticipation of getting my long lens (sigma 50-500) tomorrow. Want to be ready to go when it gets here. Still trying to figure out how everything works, this baby is light years more capable and complicated than my old camera.

With my old camera I could not take in flight shots so this is a real milestone for me and wanted to share the shots.As you can probably tell these shots have been cropped dramatically. If was a pretty dark day so could not get a fast enough shutter speed to completely freeze the action even at ISO 500 app. 4.5 on these.

(Also wanted to say a big thank you to Normcar for your excellent advice regardingthe move to the DSLR.)

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:09 PM   #2

You certainly got some nice detail in those Mallards. DSLR are most impressive in there ability to repress noise at higher ISO. I think you've done a fine job with the kit lens. I can't wait to see what you do with the tele. My dream is a D70 someday. Until then I will just have to save my pennies.:-)

Happy Holidays,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:19 PM   #3

yay zoomn!! welcome to the dSLR world!!!

congratulations!

and wat a way to start! getting both birds sharp is a tough thing to do! that's the 70mm lens' doing though...with the 50-500, you'll have to watch the DOF a lot closer....of course, you know this..nvm...forgot you had the FZ series

can't wait to see some bird shots man!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:09 PM   #4

These are beauts, zoomn, and when you get that 50-500 I think that Steve's Wildlife Forumis going to need to batten down the hatches in preparation for some of your hotshots. I love that Nikon color. So, now you're broke, but smiling, and that's what counts. Who wants to walk around with cash and a smirk anyway. I'll takebrokebut smiling with a good lens and an efficient camera any day, that's what counts.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 5:47 PM   #5

Zoomn, congrats on getting the D70. You will be very happy with the 50-500. Looking forward to seeing some great shots from you in very near future.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:13 PM   #6

Congrats, zoomn, on moving up to a DSLR. I kind of doubt there'll be anything stopping you now, except perhaps money. This is a really expensive hobby!

The in-flight shots are very good and the colors outstanding. Can't wait to see what you get with the 50-500.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:18 PM   #7

I feel like I've just opened the cover of Ducks Unlimited! Very cool!!
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:57 PM   #8

Excellent clarity and frozen motion. Good work.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:53 AM   #9

Wonderful panning and great detail. Love to seeducks landing on water, alway's a funny sight .
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:10 AM   #10

nice shots, you will love the change to DSLR, I cant even be bothered to pick up my prosumer camera anymore. Thats not to say that I would not mind one of those tiny little pocket digitals for christmas, (hoping that hubby happens to read this thread:-))
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote