Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:02 AM   #11

Zoomn, for backlit situations I use Canon's ETTL flash system. I have found no other way to compensate for backlight. However, even withthis I'll do some pre-metering. I'd do the same as I mentioned above, pre-meter in a couple of the most obvious situations. I'd first consider the distances (closest and furthest)that I'd ideally like to capture a subject, then point my camera into backlight situations, shoot a leaf or something to that effect, and adjust my shutter again until I have an ideal exposure. It's usually a matter between 2 extremes again, down and in the bush, and up and in the skylight. Anything inbetween would be a half-move between the two extremes.

Geoff - you are going to love that lens and your camera will love it even more. Be prepared for SHARP.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:09 PM   #12

Seems Santa has been nice to lots of folks. Geoffs looking forward to seeing your shots with the new 300F4. Did you order the 1.4x tc to go with it?

I am debating getting the 400F5.6 as I am using IS less and less on my 100-400L. Then again I get some shots using 100-400 which won't be possible with the prime as I can't zoom out.

Zoomn - I mainly use Aperture priority mode, If you have good glass you can always use max aperture so this way you will always get the max shutter speed at any given ISO. My 100-400L is sharp a notch below f5.6 so I mainly use it around F8. That will gurantee me the max shutter speed unless I intentionally want to use very low shutter speed, which is not the case in bird shots.

Manual mode is much better as cameras exposure system can get fooled. I am just starting to use it once ina while after seeing comments from other experienced folks.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:27 PM   #13

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Seems Santa has been nice to lots of folks. Geoffs looking forward to seeing your shots with the new 300F4. Did you order the 1.4x tc to go with it?
I did indeed order the 1.4x TC with it Bobby. I'm not sure I'll have the lens in my hands when I thought I would though. B&H shipped out my order in two packages, one of which I see on the ups tracking has been held up in the midwest (chicago) due to the weather. I don't know if the 300mm is in the package that was held up or not.

Darn. Nothing I can do about it, though - it's an act of God...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:37 PM   #14

I was looking seriously at the 400/5.6 as well until this deal came up with the 300/2.8. I'll play a bit and see what happens with the 300/2.8 with extenders since it seems to AF fast with both 1.4x and 2x...iteven retains AFstacked with a 1.4x Kenko Pro and 2x Canon! But I haven't had a chance to really work it out yet. Crappy weather! I refuse to take it out in this cold.

However...

If I can't get 300/F4 quality or near to it with the 300/2.8 and extenders then I'll go the 400/5.6 route and sell my 300/2.8. No need for it if it won'tdo the above; it won't serve me any more than the 300/4 already does at half the weight. I like the idea ofthe 400'slightness and it will still AF with the 1.4x on the Mark II. As well, an extension tube would bring the focus distance down to a working level for me.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 7:34 PM   #15

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Geoff - you are going to love that lens and your camera will love it even more. Be prepared for SHARP.
Norm (and Bobby), I just received the lens, first shots can be seen here. I think I'm gonna really like this lens!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote