Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:11 AM   #11
PvB

Pity about the halos around the bird in all of the images (the original as well)
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:23 AM   #12

Yes, I noticed the haloing also. The oversharpening that caused that probably also was the culprit in emphasizing the noise in the sky as much as it was.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:28 AM   #13

I am just learning how to use my software for post pic editing. I'm finding it is an art somewhat in itself.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:31 PM   #14

Image editing is definitely an art unto its self.
What is really amazing is when someone has skill in both... then you hunt down their posts to see what they did.

One easy way to avoid the halo in PS is this:
select the sky
invert the selection
subtract the ground from the selection (i.e. only have the hawk.)
shrink the selection region 1 pixel.
then sharpen as normal.

This should prevent the halo. Works very well for me.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 1:21 PM   #15

Wow! You guys are great. I definitely will spend some time exploring the software side of photography.
Will Elements let me do all the things you mentioned Eric? I will have to read up on the facets of Noise Ninja as well.
I can really see the difference in the sky in all of your expamples. I appreciate all of the good advise. Thanks and have a great new year.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:28 PM   #16

I'm not sure if elements has the ability to shrink or contract the selection region. When I used Elements 2 (I have since upgraded to the full PS CS) I didn't know the technique, so I didn't try it.

In PhotoShop CS it's kinda hidden. After you have selected what you want, it's under select->modify->contract (for the menu choices.) Then you can "contract" it as many pixels as you want. I often sharpen the entire picture 'cause it's so easy and if I'm unhappy with it because of halos I I undo that sharpening and use this technique. Or I selectively sharpen parts that need it (like eyes.)

I also use layers for this some times (which are NOT in elements) but I find they don't fit as well with how my brain works. I probably don't create as good a picture in PS because of that, but I'm working on it.

If you really want to learn a lot about Elements, try finding the book (I think this is the name) "The Hidden Power of PhotoShop Elements." I've heard very good things about it. It might be too advanced for you, so look at it in a store first (I've never used it so I honestly don't know its level.)

Eric

ps. Oh, ya. As I recall, elements renames features some times. So poke around and see if what you want is there. It might not be called what it is for me. I dislike how they do that.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:41 PM   #17

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if elements has the ability to shrink or contract the selection region. When I used Elements 2 (I have since upgraded to the full PS CS) I didn't know the technique, so I didn't try it.

In PhotoShop CS it's kinda hidden. After you have selected what you want, it's under select->modify->contract (for the menu choices.) Then you can "contract" it as many pixels as you want. I often sharpen the entire picture 'cause it's so easy and if I'm unhappy with it because of halos I I undo that sharpening and use this technique. Or I selectively sharpen parts that need it (like eyes.)

I also use layers for this some times (which are NOT in elements) but I find they don't fit as well with how my brain works. I probably don't create as good a picture in PS because of that, but I'm working on it.

If you really want to learn a lot about Elements, try finding the book (I think this is the name) "The Hidden Power of PhotoShop Elements." I've heard very good things about it. It might be too advanced for you, so look at it in a store first (I've never used it so I honestly don't know its level.)

Eric

ps. Oh, ya. As I recall, elements renames features some times. So poke around and see if what you want is there. It might not be called what it is for me. I dislike how they do that.
Thanks Eric,
I was able to find most of what you spoke of in Elements. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to deselect the ground after inversing.

I tried an approach using Noise Ninja and then some selective sharpening and de-speckling in Elements. Let me know if this seems better to you guys.
Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:56 PM   #18

Much, much better this time around, Steve. It takes some time to learn your image editing tools, but you always keep learning as there always seems to be 10 different ways to get the same thing done, some with better results than others.

I've been doing video and graphics for 25 years as a software developer but being on the other side, actually using the tools as a user, presents a whole different ball of wax...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:05 PM   #19

smac, I found a way to get rid of the halo. I used the cloning tool in elements 3. It took about five minutes. Check it out.
Attached Images

Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:15 PM   #20

Eric, in Elements 3 you can do that by going to select, modify, contract. Thanks for the tip.

bmullen