Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:38 PM   #1

It was a dark cold day here in Ga but I spent about 4 hrs in my little hunding blind trying to improve on my new hobby that I've become so interested in. This is a Grey Vireo I think and I used ISO 1600 and ss of 400 at F6.3. Used my Drebel and Sigma 135-400. Sure wish I hada stabelized lens now. My tripod is a Bogen 3275 with geared head and the fine tuning knobs. I guess its not the best set up for fast moving birds. There's not much color but then again there wasn't much colorout there doday. I haven't done anything to them except size them down. I know they are not the best but any comments, good or bad, is greatly appreciated as that's what I am looking for to help me get better.
Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:45 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:48 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:51 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:54 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:07 PM   #6

Houston, I like these pictures. I'm amazed that with no processing at ISO 1600 on the DRebel you've got so little noise showing. Is that right? ...no processing beyond resizing down before you posted?

How much of a crop are these images? And did you shoot raw or jpg in the camera?

As for id, there are two things going against your original determination of this being a Gray Vireo - the fact that there is no trace of spectacles around the eyes at all plus the fact that you took the picture in Georgia. So far as I know, the Gray Vireo only occurs in the southwestern states.

I wish I could positively id this bird for you but so far I'm having problems doing that. Winter plumages on birds can be tough.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:28 PM   #7

Hi Houston, nice shots. I too am impressed with these at 1600 ISO. I'd suggest a bit of lightening and some sharpening as I did this myself with one of them and it seemed to help an otherwise excellent series.

PS - you might clean off your sensor a touch or check your lens as it looks like a tiny speck exists in the lower left area and it appears that it is on your camera and not in the photo. I'd also suspect, from past experience, that it's on the sensor.

Thanks for sharing these really nice works.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 6:09 AM   #8

I am REALLY suprised at the noise level @ ISO1600. You must have a copy
of the Drebel where Canon did everthing right!!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:03 AM   #9

Thanks Geoffs

I didn't crop or anything beyond resizing down to 800. I shot in large fine JPEG. Haven't tried RAW yet. The book that I'm using is "Birds of North America" and you are right about it being only in the S.W. I noticed that also but I couldn't find anything else that looked any closer to them. I also have Yellow-Throated Vireo's but they are very common here. I thought these might have been Yellow-Throats with winter Plumage but I had Yellow-Throats in the backyard at the same time.

Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:16 AM   #10

Thanks Normcar and Woodmeister

I checked my lens and I'm pretty sure I found the spot on it. You really have a good eye. I guess that comes with experience. I have some more taken Xmas day that I will try to do a little processing in Elements 2. First I've got a lot of Honey-Do's to take care of so it will be a while before I can get back to my computer.

And thanks again guys. I really appreciate your comments. Happy holidays to all of you.