Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:04 PM   #1

Way below zero today, froze myself good and was concerned about my lenses so excursion was cut off early. Redpolls were still feeding which was good:

Skyward glance

Chickadee with big eyes

Closer look

Sideways glance

Flee (some purple fringe, don't have my software with me and it's not too terrible)

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:12 PM   #2

You get points for having the dedication to go out and freeze your buns off just so that you could come back with some superlative photos to show all of us! I probably wouldn't have done it...

The first redpoll pic is one I'd want up on my wall. It's simple but I really like the way the bird has its head turned up and the head feathers all ruffed up.

The closeup of the eye of the chickadee is nothing short of amazing. I don't believe I've ever seen that good of a view of the pupil of a chickadee's eye! Question for you: did you use neatimage on the chickadee? The reason I ask is because the white feathers just below the eye in the closeup view have a similar appearance to what I see in my own images when NI smooths the noise out of an image during its noise reduction. I'm probably wrong but it doesn't hurt to ask...

(btw: you beat me to it - I've got my own closeups of some chickadees from today that I will post later- I think yours are better)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:23 PM   #3

Quote:
You get points for having the dedication to go out and freeze your buns off
I decided to quit when the thin metal ring on my tripod clip broke because of the cold and I got tired of hearing that cold crunching sound of feet and monopod on snow, echoing the temperature and warning me that weather this cold is probably just not the best for lenses.
Quote:
Question for you: did you use neatimage on the chickadee?
Affirmative, I use NIon all shots of 800 ISO or more whether it needs it or not, just to be safe.It certainly won't hurt as I never over-process withNI. If anything, I'll under-process as I don't like that plastic look or poc-marked appearanceof over-NI'ed photographs.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:53 PM   #4

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
...or poc-marked appearanceof over-NI'ed photographs.
You aren't joking about that. I've overdone it and come out with those artifacts too. So far as I'm concerned, you may as well toss the results of that noise reduction run once that's happened.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 3:03 AM   #5

All great shots. It seems to me they all have that look that says,"What in
the world is a crazy human doing out on a day like today?"
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:09 AM   #6

Normcar, really nice chickadee and sideways glance. Thanks for posting.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote