Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:23 PM   #1

This is my first post here - so I hope it works ok.

I am really new at taking bird photos, and took this at Huntington Beach Central Park after a rainstorm. I think it is an Ibis but am not sure what kind it is, so would really appreciate any input.

I have been looking over your great photos of birds and it makes me yearn for a D70 or equivalent. But for now I must be satisified my my FZ10.

Thanks for inspiration you all are to me to get out and start trying to capture some birds.
Attached Images

WOtey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:25 PM   #2

Hi there, and welcome to Steve's! For a first post and never having been into photographing birds before, this is a pretty good post.

The camera you are using, the FZ10, is a very capable camera and with its 420mm FL and builtin image stabilization it should do very well for birds and other wildlife. I've never owned one but I have seen the great captures that others on this forum have posted in the past using this camera (normcar, zoomn with an FZ1/2, hummer).

As to id of this bird, I'm not an ibis expert, but to me this looks to be a White-faced Ibis in non-breeding plumage. The picture is a little soft and I'd wish for a little bit more room at the top. Have you done any postprocessing to this picture before you posted? If so, what did you do?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:55 PM   #3

Thanks geoffs for your input and encouragment. I do not remember what pp I did, but here is another shot which is an original just resized. I have been getting some soft images when I use the zoom, maybe a little camera shake, or in this instance I was standing in mud and had no tripod. I guess the IS can't perfrom miracles. Also this bird was fast moving out of my view, so I just pointed in his direction and clicked away. Have been back many times since and have not seem him.

I think it's time I replaced my 35 year old Graflex tripod which I can hardly lift with something more practical that I can take with me more often.

Thanks again.

Wendy

http://shutterhappy.smugmug.com/
Attached Images

WOtey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:47 PM   #4

I think if you just recropped the original photo, taking off at the top but not as drastically as in your first attempt, and then sharpened in an image editing program (PSP8, PSCS, PSE, etc.) you'd come out of it with a pretty decent shot.

Wow, I just looked at your photo gallery and I'm impressed - you have some very, very nice shots up there. In no time at all you will be putting us all to shame!

As far as a stable platform goes, a light tripod would be a great addition. One thing you might think of before going the somewhat expensive and more bulky tripod route, is a monopod. I'm probably going to pick one up (in fact, I have my eye on a Feisel carbon fibermonopod - sort of a cheaper alternative to a Gitzon carbon fiber one).

Keep 'em coming, Wendy!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote