Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:57 PM   #1

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:20 PM   #2

dude, that's intense! the look in his eye is awesome

blown out? who cares...great expression you caught here norm!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:33 PM   #3

THIS! Is one of the best pictures I have seen. This is screaming to be a logo for a major product. Car, Airline, Rock group. The ONLY thing about this picture that doesn't work for a logo is the name of the bird.

"Arrive in the luxurious comfort of your brand new, all leather, turbo charged "Magpie"?

Oh, well, it is a damn fine picture. In any case. I really love the feather highlights radiating out from the head.

Really Excellent Norm,

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:56 PM   #4

Thanks guys, this is one mistake that turned out nice. I appreciate the words. I decided to leave the dandruff (actually snowflakes) on since it didn't seem to detract from the overall thrust of things. This bird was right up close and I was pretty upset when I realized I had overexposed...until I downloaded.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:25 AM   #5

Looks like a terrorist magpie to me! Real nice, Norm. I should make such mistakes!

Now, a question for you. I went out today (yes, it was sunny for once) and tried to shoot some more waterfowl. My day was not a success. I found a male bufflehead and male Common Merganser, both of which are characterized by extremes of plumage in very dark and very white colors. I ended up blowing out the white plumage in all my pictures. How the heck do you expose correctly such that you don't overdo the bright feathers and yet retain detail in the dark? I'm befuddled...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:20 AM   #6

If I'm shooting something difficult like that then I'll take some photos and have a quick peek to see what the whites look like. After staring at the same LCD screen for awhile you'll be able to discern both sharpness and exposure even in the little screen. If I'm not sure I'll manually bracket every subject I shoot, making sure to both over and under expose as well as normal exposure.

Another thing you could do is set your exposure bracketing. I'm sure that your camera has that.

I took many exposures of the above magpie and none were good enough to post because the fine line between darks and lights just couldn't be found. I couldn't even shoot the background, then the bird and do layers because the bird itself has black and white. However, thankfully with this bird one can cheat and get artsy with overexposure in order to bring out the dark details.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 5:44 AM   #7

Scary!!!!!!!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:42 PM   #8

Good job!!! You need to step back, it's imposing
Esterzosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:41 PM   #9

WOW
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:04 AM   #10

hey geoff, i believe the way to deal with that, is to shoot RAW...and convert two images, one for highlights and one for shadows...and blend them in PS...

there's also a article, greg downing posted on NSN (in the archives) about recovering slightly burnt highlights...with RAW files...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote