Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:01 AM   #11

Houston, you should also try aperture priority mode. Using F8 should be enough for these shots. Would give you higher shutter speed. If your camera has continous focus mode, use it. Manual focus with flying bird is not going to work. Shoot multiple shots in burst.

Exposure compensation is tough. I get confused all the time. Arthur Morris has a handy guide on his web site, www.birdsasart.com. I am thinking of buying one. For white birds, most of time, you will need to use -ve EV, and +EV for black birds. But it depends on your metering mode. Try with gulls and check your histogram. Will give you some idea of what EV you need.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:06 PM   #12

It took forever to load all these photos on Dialup but they look fine to me. No one gets all perfect photos. The one of the Sun Conure is beautiful
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:28 PM   #13

Huston

Don't know if you have shot birds before, but I just tried a week ago for the first time with my 200 lens and 1.4 multiplyer. Gotta tell ya, your pics look pretty good to me. I found out quickly, it takes a lot of snaps to get one decent pic. I learned a lot about panning and how to take the shot. Might say, the learning was much better than the shooting.

It is really nice to have this forum, as I am sure it reduces the learning curver a bunch. There appear to be a lot of really great people here.

Best wishes
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:57 PM   #14

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Houston, you should also try aperture priority mode. Using F8 should be enough for these shots. Would give you higher shutter speed. If your camera has continous focus mode, use it. Manual focus with flying bird is not going to work. Shoot multiple shots in burst.

Exposure compensation is tough. I get confused all the time. Arthur Morris has a handy guide on his web site, http://www.birdsasart.com. I am thinking of buying one. For white birds, most of time, you will need to use -ve EV, and +EV for black birds. But it depends on your metering mode. Try with gulls and check your histogram. Will give you some idea of what EV you need.
Thanks Bobbyz. My camera is the canon drebel. As far as I know, it does not have continues focus, at least I haven't found it yet. I did shoot multiple bursts but after you get a focus it seems that you loose it by the time the camera stops shooting. I went back to the same place again today and tried again, experimenting with EC. I'll get them processed and posted shortly. I don't really know what EV is yet but I'll go to the site you suggested and take a look.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:02 PM   #15

sasc wrote:
Quote:
It took forever to load all these photos on Dialup but they look fine to me. No one gets all perfect photos. The one of the Sun Conure is beautiful
Sun Conure. So that's what it is!!

Thanks sasc

Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:14 PM   #16

Thanks Golfer. Any you've got that right. There sure is a lot of really great people on this forum. And some of these people really know what to do with a camera. There is some very, very good pictures posted here and I'm learning something from these people every day.

Best wishes to you also :?